PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Senior Staff Technical Artist (Lighting)
Sony Bend Studio, renowned creator of Days Gone, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, and Syphon Filter, is seeking outstanding talent to join our passionate and creative family in crafting our next high-profile AAA console title.
We are seeking a Sr. Staff Technical Artist who will contribute to the technical development of AAA products with a specialized focus on lighting for game development. The Sr. Staff Technical Lighting Artist will work with the Lighting Lead to identify and develop tools and workflow improvements that enable the lighting team to operate efficiently and with maximum flexibility.
- Contribute to the development of lighting tools and processes that help achieve a product’s visual style and encourage artistic technical evolution within the studio.
- Creates lighting setups, tools, shaders, and workflows as needed to increase the lighting team’s efficiency and work quality.
- Develop efficient lighting solutions that fit within the technical constraints of the game.
- Fix lighting bugs and implement root cause solutions.
- Follow creative direction to implement high quality lighting that fits the visual style of our game.
- Keeps aware of industry trends and technical techniques, evaluates competitive products, and determines areas we can improve or innovate, communicates innovations in a convincing way, and collaborates with the leadership team to develop plans for implementation.
- Provides input on the technical methods to achieve the artistic goals and vision.
- Serves as a technical resource for all phases of production and other studio art needs. This includes, but is not limited to conducting general research, developing cutting-edge tools and techniques, and testing new systems or tools. Providing training, transmitting industry related information, and conveying concerns in a constructive way by providing solutions to those concerns.
- Highly proficient in Python. Some knowledge of Qt and C++ is a plus.
- Highly proficient in the use of 3D software to light environment and cinematic scenes.
- Excellent reading and comprehension skills to fully understand complex process documents, design documents, and written assignments. The ability to communicate complex processes effectively either individually with team members, or within group settings. The ability to write short reports and process documents when needed in a clear and concise manner.
- Strong time management skills, with the ability to break down tasks and assignments and prioritize them into workable pieces on a daily, weekly, and project length basis. Works independently and conscientiously with minimal supervision. Able to manage long-term projects, creating and following a comprehensive schedule for the creation of complex lighting scenes and shaders for game assets and cinematics.
- Strong data management skills, with the ability to manage and track large amounts of data as they go through the art pipeline with attention to naming conventions, directory structures, and other processes.
- Extensive portfolio with examples of current, hands-on work, including lighting environments and characters in a variety of situations. Demonstrating the use of lighting setups and a strong understanding of the lighting pipeline. Multiple examples of high-quality lit environments and cinematics.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.