PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
San Mateo, CA
We have an exciting opportunity to join Sony Interactive Entertainment, PlayStation. We seek an engineering Manager to develop and support PlayStation’s DevNet Platform. DevNet is our web portal used worldwide by which developers interact and supply their content onto the PlayStation platform, including games, movies, music, and more. This manager would motivate, guide, and develop the team supporting these efforts reporting to the Global Engineering Manager based in the UK. The ideal candidate would have a background in developing enterprise-level web applications and services. If this is you please apply!
- Coach, manage, hire and mentor a team of web developers, engineers and support specialists.
- Prioritization of active initiatives through one-on-ones and other team processes.
- Mentor team members to improve performance.
- Performance management process.
- Develop clear outcomes to measure individual performance.
- Appropriately task team to assure the job is done well.
- Draw from your own experience to guide the team to solve complex engineering assignments.
- Instill a spirit of continuous improvement in the team’s code, architecture, and processes.
- Use data-driven decision-making techniques and promote/encourage analytics use.
- Help to set the engineering agenda through the technical product vision.
- Manage, maintain and be the main point of contact for local third-party service providers.
- Set development programs encouraging cross-skilling and learning.
- Promote team consensus and buy-in on all major decisions.
- Encourage collaboration between geographically dispersed teams.
- Work with product owner to help in prioritization and negotiation of business priorities vs technical complexities
- Mediate and resolve conflicts.
- Other tasks assigned as necessary.
- Enterprise application, customer-facing website development
- Prior development experience of LAMP: PHP, or similar web development technologies
- Team management experience, including hiring/firing, performance reviews, budgeting, etc.
- Tangible degrees and certifications considered a plus
- Experience with working on Agile teams. SAFE experience considered a plus
- Collaborative - both within the team and with other engineering teams around the world
- Strong Communication Skills
- Empathetic to team’s and product needs
- Adapts easily to change
- Good humoured, good rapport
- Natural listener and a phenomenal teammate
- Strives for continuous improvement
- Confident in their abilities and decisions, able to be wrong.
- Happily interruptible
- Experience with conflict resolution
- Experience in working with remote teams
- Able to navigate complex organizational structures
- Worked in an agile organization, particularly SAFE
- Hands on management of web application engineering teams
- Able to contribute to the engineering discussion and architecture on features.
Attainment / certification
- Degree or equivalent experience
- Agile qualification of any type
- Integrating varied applications and services built on different tech stacks
- Serverless applications
- Event driven applications
- Building, maintaining and improving business critical systems incrementally
- Worked with geographically dispersed teams.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.