PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Software Engineer II
Location: San Francisco, CA (SoMa)
Want to work in the Best Place To Play ?
We, the PlayStation® software engineering group, are looking for a top notch mid-level software engineer to craft, and develop core technologies that power cloud-based network software services. In this role, we would love to see someone who is willing to learn and adopt cloud-native development methodologies as well as integrate open-source software into our development lifecycle and tooling as they see fit.
If millions of users, billions of network transactions, and trillions of data bytes excite you, then we'd love to hear from you on how you can help us in pushing this even farther. We want to see you succeed at PlayStation and help build the next-generation platform !
- We would like you to have 2-4 years of software development experience and a BS degree in Computer Science or similar technical field of study. Software engineering experience in Java, Python and/or Go would be excellent.
- Experience working with two or more from the following: web application development, Unix/Linux environments, distributed and parallel systems, machine learning, information retrieval, real-time analytics.
- Working proficiency and interpersonal skills in verbal and written English.
- Experience with data streaming (Kafka, RabbitMQ and/or Pulsar) and stream-processing (Spark Streaming, Flink and/or Kafka streams)
- Experience with NoSQL technologies such as Aerospike, Couchbase and/or Cassandra.
- Experience with CNCF Observability tools such as Prometheus and Open-Telemetry.
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes.
- Experience with Cloud Providers such as AWS.
- Experience with Agile/Scrum software development methodologies.
- Design and implement SIE's streaming and stream processing platform.
- Prototype solutions with existing OSS tools and technologies and/or develop solutions from scratch.
- Document design decisions and architectural designs to share with team members and to external partners.
- Help in preparing strategic roadmap for platform adoption by more product and platform teams.
- Build the platform with a customer-centric focus and have a data-centric approach towards decisions.
- Understand opportunity cost vs cost of reliability and enumerate trade-offs between the two in specific situations of the business lifecycle.
- Handle periodic on-call duty as well as out-of-band requests.
- Work with limited supervision under tight time constraints and respond to constantly evolving requirements.
- Review code submitted by peers.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.