PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
San Diego, CA
PlayStation Studios Visual Arts primarily located on our San Diego campus provides world-class content, development and services to PlayStation Studios. Our team is always at the cutting edge of technology and partners with the industry’s best minds and companies. This is your opportunity to work closely with game and film industry professionals from all over the world and under one roof!
We are looking for an Animation Supervisor who is highly proficient in all aspects of high-quality animation supervision in the video game industry. You are an organized and diligent leader, strategic, and thoughtful in all interactions with the internal and external teams and partners, and will work in collaboration with Studio Management and Team Members across multiple disciplines.
If you're a dedicated, focused, and self-motivated person looking to supervise a team of animators on aesthetic quality of performance animation, we want to speak to you! Do you ensure the highest level of quality for all deliveries, work within all styles of animation including full hand key and motion capture, and guide tool-sets and workflows for projects, ensuring all technical guidelines and requirements are met for efficient deliveries? Then we want you to join our team and work with us on: pre-visualization, scene assembly, virtual camera, motion editing, motion capture animation pipeline, keyframe animation, AAA facial solving, cinematic animation, in-game/navigation motions, motion matching and technical animation workflows.
- Oversee the quality of work assigned to the project, ensuring the highest level of quality in regards to performance quality animation.
- Review all work prior to delivery, and educate the team regarding current animation techniques.
- Develop hand key and motion captured animation for humans, creatures, and vehicles to be integrated into cinematic sequences and/or in-game engines.
- Determine the workflow for the duration of the project with Production, Pipeline, Technical Art, and Motion Edit.
- Work within pipeline and tool standards set for each project, improve workflows and tool sets for future projects, and collaborate with the Technical Art team to ensure efficient integration of animation (key-frame and/or motion captured) into game engines and pipelines using custom tools.
- Ensure all deliveries from animation meet the specifications set by Pipeline and Technical Art. Responsible for all deliveries of the department, both aesthetically and technically.
- Uphold and carry out all project deadlines, working with project producers to ensure work is completed on schedule and with the proper crew.
- Collaborate with the Animation, Solving, Pipeline and Technical Art departments to develop shared tools, increase productivity, ensure efficient work hand offs, streamline processes, understand and teach the quality expected for delivery to the client and other departments.
- Assist in the documentation and maintenance of up-to-date processes for the animation team, as well as current and future contingent staff.
- Review and interview animators and assess their ability to work on a technical and artistic level; casting animation talent appropriate to accomplish delivery schedule.
- 10+ years of experience in the entertainment industry, including video game, film and television production.
- Expert knowledge of Maya and Motion Builder.
- Strong background in AAA Facial Animation workflows and experience with FACS based rigs; able to aesthetically and technically evaluate facial rigs for feedback with rigging artists.
- Strong aesthetics of character animation, character movement and camera composition; must have a trained eye for performance and have the ability to evaluate work, providing artistic and technical feedback.
- Mentor, delegate and challenge our team of artists. Identify animators who can be given more responsibilities.
- Collaborate with the production team and department management to meet all required deadlines and milestone.
- Strong pre-production skills required, including but not limited to thumbnails and story-boarding; must understand pipelines and the nature of production cycles in the industry.
- Experience in production of cinematics for video games or animated feature films.
- Experience supervising a team.
- Experience working directly in game engine builds or DevKits.
- Experience working with distributed animation team, potentially off time zone.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.