PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Sr. Technical Writer
San Diego, CA
This role is for a Senior Technical Writer to join our team and help take our technical documentation services to new heights. Your ability to evaluate and analyze complex information is second to none, and you have a natural desire to help people understand things that are hard to understand. We expect you to deliver concise and effective documentation that addresses the requirements of end users.
As an ideal candidate, you have proven experience in authoring and maintaining technical documents, process documentation, and end-user guides, while working closely with engineering teams and subject matter experts within an Agile environment. You will work in a fast paced environment and support the services used to build the PlayStation experience.
Major job duties and responsibilities:
- Author user guides and quick start guides for software applications using Oxygen.
- Use a source control system, i.e. Git, daily to store and version all crafted technical content.
- Publish documentation to a web-based platform.
- Ensure documentation follows department style guides and content models.
- Develop or manage the development of all technical content and their review cycles, working independently to research subject matter and understand the needs of the end users.
- Work closely with designated contacts for project scope, reviews, approvals, and delivery, including Product, Development, QA, Program Management, and others.
- Effectively communicate project status to Lead Writer and/or cross-functional team and proactively call out project challenges to management for resolution.
- Monitor assigned documentation projects to ensure they are on schedule, meet business and audience needs, and are delivered within the forecasted budget.
- Experience in both authoring topic-based DITA content and converting unstructured content into DITA.
- Knowledge of single-sourcing methodologies.
- Expert proficiency with both written and verbal communication, for both business and technical audiences.
- Expert experience using advanced authoring software (Oxygen XML), and source control systems.
- Ability to work independently and manage deadlines.
- Highly driven, enthusiastic, eager, collaborative, and inventive.
- Professional analytical, researching, and problem solving skills. Ability to collaborate with multicultural teams across the globe.
- Proven experience working in an Agile Environment along with an understanding of the Software Development Lifecycle.
- High level of creativity, dependability, and flexibility in a fast-paced environment to multi-task, meet deadlines, and adapt to meet project needs.
- BS/BA in Technical Communication, English, Computer Science, related field, or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of experience writing software documentation for a technical audience.
- Experience using Jira and Confluence.
- Experience handing off content for translation.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, Acrobat Pro, Microsoft Office, GiT/GiTHub.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.