PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Insomniac Games is recruiting it’s next Character Artist! Our character artists are responsible for creating models, textures, and materials for characters and other key assets. They work as part of the character team to bring our games to life.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
• Work closely with Lead Artist to maintain consistent style under the direction of the Art Director.
• Creates high-resolution models, low-resolution models, UV layouts, textures and materials for characters, weapons and props.
• Optimizes models and textures to ensure quality and performance.
• Integrates and checks character assets in context in the game to identify scale and design issues.
• Extensive knowledge of Maya, Zbrush and Substance Painter.
• Good knowledge of PBR (Physically based rendering)
• Uses advanced knowledge of human and animal anatomy to ensure that models achieve a high level of functionality and design aesthetics.
• Meets with other character artists to discuss style and technique and maintains visual consistency.
• Communicate with Rigging and Animation Departments to ensure models deform correctly and are functional.
• Actively participates in technical and artistic problem solving.
• Solves problems with visual design; fills in the gaps between concept art and modeling.
• Other duties may be required.
Education and/or Experience:
• Bachelors Degree (B.F.A.) from a four-year college or university; or two to four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Solid understanding of Maya, Zbrush, Marvelous Designer and Substance Painter.
• Solid understanding of generating normal maps from high poly models
• Understanding of Photoshop, node-based shader networks and Substance Designer a plus
• Understanding of source control with Perforce or the equivalent
• Good knowledge of PBR (Physically based rendering)
• Skilled at drawing, sculpting, and conceptualization skills with an ability to adapt to established styles
• Understanding of clean edge flow and best practices for modeling for animation performance
• Knowledge/ understanding of human and animal anatomy
• Strong traditional painting skills in both stylized and photorealistic styles
• Ability to meet deadlines under tight schedules
• Willingness to receive direction and work closely with a team
If this sounds like the opportunity you've been waiting for, please submit your portfolio, resume and application below. We look forward to reviewing your submission.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.