PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Sr. Software Engineer (Java)
Los Angeles, CA
The Senior Software Engineer is responsible for design and implementation of interactive web-based services in innovative ways. You will be building and improving Java code as well as providing software for the PlayStation Network. This extraordinary network provides online services for the PS4, Web, PS3, PSP, Vita, Tablets, mobile phones, PC, Bravia TVs and more. We build large internal enterprise applications which integrate and support such fun services as Movie/TV Show streaming, PSN gaming commerce and much more. Our environment is high energy, agile and we use some of the latest tools out there.
The primary role for this position will be to work the design and development of back-end applications and components and the integration with third party systems. We are looking for a skilled Java developer with experience in full life-cycle application development and systems integration. He/She will work with peers on the development of large scale systems that support other Sony's businesses in the digital content area. The role will primarily be focused on development of projects. This entails architecture, coding, unit testing, bug fixing and assistance in the deployment to production as well as maintenance knowledge transfers.
- You will communicate with members of the Technology group by providing status, identifying and raising issues and participating in planning activities.
- Write Java code for internal application development
- Write and execute unit tests using the JUnit framework
- Apply and help refine coding standards
- Create required documentation including low-level design documents
- Ownership of the implementation and delivery of mid-size to large features
- Design mid-size features or implement more complex features as designed by technical lead
- Communicate estimates, schedules, issues and dependencies to technical or project lead
- Increase expertise in the areas of development related to the assigned projects
- Identify and address issues independently
- Fix bugs and provide support for business and maintenance teams
- Refactor existing code base and improve overall quality of code
- Perform knowledge shares
- Boldly improve development processes
- Participate in the establishment of standard methodologies
- 6+ years experience with Java and java-based web application development
- 4+ years experience with RDBMS and writing SQL queries
- 4+ years experience with XML related technologies (XML, XSL, JAXP) and JSON
- 4+ years experience with RESTful APIs
- Experience with object modeling, analysis and design
- Experience with MVC technologies
- Experience using source control systems (e.g. Git, Perforce, etc…)
- Experience utilizing JUnit and other testing frameworks
- Demonstrated experience developing and delivering both consumer facing web based solutions and intranet/extranet type applications for internal users and partners
- Excellent communication skills with both technical and non-technical team members
- Experience using Linux or UNIX-variant operating systems
- Experience with advanced web UI technologies (e.g. JQuery, AngularJs, ReactJs)
- Experience with Oracle, MySQL/Aurora database
- Experience with hosting applications in AWS/cloud
- Experience in SCRUM/Agile methodologies
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Experience with Hibernate
- Experience with Spring framework
- Experience developing shell or Perl scripts
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.