PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Join the award-winning team that created God of War
We are seeking an experienced Senior Character Concept Artist for the development of a new unannounced title! Santa Monica Studio is looking for an experienced concept artist to help us visualize dynamic and believable characters that set the bar for creativity and complexity on the PlayStation console. Do you want to contribute to the artistic vision, working with art teams to establish the tone of the game, and bring it to life? As a member of the world-class character team, you must effectively collaborate with the Art Director, Game Director, and Art Leads to develop concepts for our cast that are visually spectacular and engaging while also working with a wide range of development team members to ensure technical feasibility. Help us craft unique visuals that define our industry!
- Design characters, props, production callouts, system interacts, high vision concept art, color scripts, marketing material and other visual guides and tasks as needed to assist the development team.
- Combine the goals of game design, art direction, and technological considerations to help build industry defining characters.
- Research and initiate information gathering of pertinent subject matter to your task.
- Develop and maintain strong creative and collaborative partnerships across subject areas to help further develop the in-game characters, visual language, and rule sets for fantasy-based worlds.
- Solve complex artistic development issues for artists as well as other team members.
- Actively improve your skills and maintain an awareness of industry techniques, tools, evaluate competitive products, learning new software packages and traditional art methods.
- Serve as an artistic resource for overall product or as a studio resource. This includes, but is not limited to conducting general research, developing ground breaking techniques, or testing new systems and tools.
- Strong command of foundation art skills (drawing, painting and rendering, material indication, perspective, composition, color theory, design, anatomy and 2d and 3d design techniques)
- Strong design skills with the ability to render realistic believable fantasy-based characters, creatures, and props using contemporary industry standard tools and techniques.
- Strong ideation, brainstorming and documentation skills.
- Proficiency in Photoshop with an emphasis on drawing, painting and image making. 3D modeling and sculpting skills are not required but are a plus.
- Strong time management and prioritization skills. This entails collaborating with the Production group to coordinate task lists to ensure assignments are progressing well according to schedules, objectives, and overall project goals.
- Familiarity with video game product development and the fundamentals of 3D packages.
- Good communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Fine Arts or relevant curriculum or equivalent skillset.
- Minimum 3 years of AAA video game platform experience with two or more published titles is desirable.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.