PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
San Mateo, CA
As a senior modeler in the Product Data Science Team you will be responsible for generating interpretable, meaningful models of user behavior to support personalization and targeted messaging, and to inform decision making throughout Product. You will use your knowledge of a variety of statistical and machine learning techniques to determine the right model to build for each situation, extract appropriate features for each model, generate and test models, and work with subject matter experts, model validators, and engineers to create and productionize models that are both valid, meaningful, and useful.
- Apply advanced statistical and machine learning techniques to translate business needs into reliable, valid models of user behavior
- Design, develop, and enhance predictive and behavioral models in order to:
- Identify moments or subgroups of interest
- Classify users or content
- Predict future behavior
- DRive personalized recommendations
- Identify patterns, anomalies, relationships, and trends
- Wrangle constantly changing, large, complex, high volume, high dimensional, sparse data
- Collaborate with business stakeholders and subject matter experts to ensure that developed solutions are reasonable, practical and meet business needs in a timely fashion
- Work collaboratively with other members of the team to select the most appropriate model for each situation and to determine each model’s constraints and failure conditions
- Work with engineers to utilize and improve in-house solutions that support model development and model production
- Mentor peers, coordinate work across multiple related models, and interact with both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Advanced analytical and problem solving abilities and a flexible, curious approach to data
- Deep theoretical and applied understanding of statistical or machine learning techniques
- Extensive experience querying, manipulating, and analyzing a variety of different forms of data
- Skilled in data processing and manipulation using SQL and PySpark/sparklyr
- Proficient in at least one scripting language (Python, R, etc.)
- Ability to recognize mistakes, learn from them, and move forward
- Collaborative problem-solving mindset and willingness to trade expertise with peers
- Advanced degree in statistics, computer science, mathematics, behavioral economics, political science, or other quantitative fields
- Experience building and deploying models at scale or in an industry setting
- Familiarity with cloud computing platforms (AWS, Google Cloud, etc.)
- Experience developing libraries or reusable code
- Experience in the entertainment industry
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.