PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Join the award-winning team that created God of War
We are seeking a quality obsessed Senior Level Designer for the development of a new unannounced title! You will be designing and implementing gameplay, taking direction from the Lead Level Designers and Project Directors.
As a Ser Level Designer, you are a master collaborator capable of exciting and energizing those around you. You demonstrate an ability to take a level design from concept, through all development stages, to completion, including planning, 2D and 3D layout, event scripting, encounter design, and a strong sense of pacing. You naturally work across all disciplines and are a hub for activity. You are able to partner closely with our producers as well as clearly communicate across the team and drive toward quality.
You feel an inherent responsibility for player immersion and fun, channeling your time and talents into realizing incredibly memorable experiences.
In the Senior Level Designer role, you will collaborate with the Lead Level Designers and the Design Director on the following:
- Planning design via 2D maps, diagrams, and written documentation.
- Building 3D layout such as blockmesh and world authoring.
- Scripting events and interactions.
- Creating level flow that emphasizes Encounter, Puzzle, Exploration and Narrative pacing.
- Communicating the level’s design by: leading design discussion and reviews, participating in and/or leading level-production related meetings.
- Contributing toward establishing standards, conventions, and metrics that help guide the team toward quality and consistency.
- Providing in-house staff education on technical level design issues, tools use, and the best implementation practices.
- Forming positive working relationships and demonstrate design process with other Designers, Design Director, Game Director, Design Manager, Art Director, Lead Artist, Lead Programmer, Lead Animator, etc.
You bring to the position the following attributes:
- Advanced game design knowledge (both practical and theoretical) that explains the 'why' and intent behind your designs.
- A deep understanding of how to design and build environments that support combat, traversal, puzzles, and narrative.
- Ego-less collaboration skills used to rally teammates around work tasks and creative challenges.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Maya, engine/editor tools, or other 3D world building software.
- Experience working with scripting languages or visual scripting systems used to create gameplay logic and event choreography.
- An endless hunger to grow, learn, and improve as a designer.
- 3+ years in game development, or equivalent experience showcased in a portfolio of work.
- 5+ years in game development, with at least 2 years in Level Design specific role.
- Full development cycle experience for at least 2 published triple-A titles.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.