PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Research Lead, Consumer Insights
San Mateo, CA
The mission of our Consumer Insights team is to examine and understand the gaming consumer and marketplace in such detail that we can help drive and support the kind of great ideas that will define gaming for years to come. Our team, divided into areas that represent each principal element of PlayStation’s business, seeks a lead researcher and strategist to support PlayStation's software portfolio. To be exact, our Software Research Senior Lead designs, manages, examines, and reports on various forms of consumer research, analysis, and other strategic activates related to building, messaging, and understanding what, why, and how people play.
As with every member of the Insights team, this person’s fundamental role within PlayStation will be to help answer the most crucial and expansive business questions faced by our company today by understanding and then representing the consumer – what they think, feel, want, and need. To do this effectively, we need a person with a demonstrable, modern, and sophisticated level of knowledge of both consumer research and the gaming industry. This person must have a high degree of comfort managing elaborate qualitative and quantitative research projects through all phases – from crafting the approach and working directly with the data collected, to identifying the story and communicating it as effectively as possible. Ideally, this person should have a history of helping organizations like ours develop and act upon consumer research in ways that inspire change and allow for stronger and more meaningful connections to be built with consumers. We are looking for someone skilled in the application of both data and storytelling, understanding that each needs the other to be truly transformational. If this all sounds like you, and if have a passion for research and a desire to push the field to new and innovative places, we can’t wait to meet you and learn more!
Key Function and Responsibility of the Role:
- Represent the voice of the consumer in terms that are relevant to and drive more informed choices within the business
- Demonstrate SIE's investment in primary and secondary research to derive insights and provide strategic leadership to internal partner groups
- Design and execute globally-appropriate research projects, using standard methodologies
- Lead research partners and other resources to craft, field, report, and present outstanding research projects
- Help identify growth opportunities, unmet consumer needs, and market whitespace
- Provide strategic counsel to key partners both within SIE and at the organization’s key external partners
- Build reports and presentations that demonstrate research observations and insights across projects to communicate larger themes across the organization
- Support an environment of feedback and learning across our team.
- Supervise project budgets, ensuring that funds are spent responsibly, supervised meticulously, are focused on the questions most valuable to the business, and do not exceeded budgeted totals
- Work with global partner groups related to Software & Services to identify key areas of needs, and establish customer knowledge as a critically beneficial ingredient of their respective successes
Required Technical Skills:
- Ability to lead multiple, simultaneous, complicated global research projects, in a timely, efficient, and effective manner
- High levels of proficiency in PowerPoint, Excel, and cross-tabulation portals and/or analytical software (e.g. SPSS, SAS, R, Tableau, etc.)
- Sophisticated knowledge of qualitative research and reporting methodologies (e.g. grounded theory, discourse analysis, content analysis, ethnography and participant observation, narrative interviewing and analysis, visual methods of reporting, production of video reporting, etc.)
- Expert-level knowledge of statistical and analytical methodologies (e.g. Choice Modeling, MaxDiff, TURF analysis, derived importance, etc.)
- Minimum two years of experience in a similar Consumer Insights function related to the gaming or entertainment industry, with at least five years of research or data analysis
- Advanced degree or higher in Statistics or similar quantitative field of study (e.g. Math, Economics, Engineering, Physics, etc.) strongly preferred but not required
Required Professional Skills:
- Proven track record representing qualitative & quantitative research methodologies, analysis, and insights clearly and concisely to senior-level decision-makers and executives, whether it be good or bad news
- Outstanding reporting and presentation skills with the ability to effectively communicate through beautiful written reports, compelling presentations, succinct summary documents, clear and concise emails, and any other way you could imagine!
- Success working for or maintaining relationships and administrative processes with multiple research suppliers and agency partners
- Very organized and detail-orientation, with a passion for data accuracy
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.