PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Join the award-winning team that created God of War
This is an opportunity to contribute to the artistic vision and development of a product with a specialized focus on creating environments and level assets.
This role contributes to the artistic vision with an emphasis on utilizing pre-existing assets to create large scale levels.
A Worldbuilder, while capable of creating original assets, will focus most of their time on level construction, layout, and composition. Original assets are only created when needed and unavailable. The Worldbuilder bridges the gap between Level Designers and Environment Artists, offering strengths from both departments with less focus on scripting and asset creation. The Worldbuilder must understand level construction and aesthetic layout equally. The role will be best suited to those that while still working as part of a larger team can independently problem solve and take ownership of a level from beginning to end.
A Worldbuilder must possess the ability to effectively collaborate with a wide range of development team members outside of their direct discipline. These will include the Art Director, Designers, Technical Artists, Animators, Programmers and Producers to optimally achieve art & design goals. These contacts will be crucial during level implementation as they relate to design and technological considerations. The ideal candidate comes from an environment art background but has a strong passion toward game and level design.
- Create/implement art for scene composition and compelling level layout.
- Utilize Maya, Photoshop, ZBrush, and Substance Designer on a day-to-day basis.
- Communicate updates and escalate concerns when necessary to the appropriate team member or manager.
- Minimum of one to two years' industry experience or related experience.
- Proficient in the use of Maya, (or 3D modeling package) Zbrush, and Substance Designer and Painter.
- Familiarity with video game product development including, but not limited to workflow, tools, lighting, high and low poly modeling, texture painting, particle systems, UV layout, in-game animation, material setup, layout, SFX and engine parameters/optimizations.
- Effective communication, organizational, time management, and interpersonal skills.
- Understanding of basic level construction – including metrics, collision and visual language.
- Works under minimal direction to determine and develop an approach to solutions.
- A Bachelor's in fine arts or relevant curriculum or equivalent skill set.
- Previous or current-gen videogame platform experience.
- Having firsthand experience on one or more published titles is a plus.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.