PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Senior Technical Game Designer
San Diego, CA
Are you an experienced game developer with an appetite for high quality, 3rd person, Action/Adventure games? Do you enjoy PlayStation’s library of games and their top-tier studios? Have you always known how beautiful San Diego is, but never found an opportunity to live there?
Then this is the opportunity for you!
Sony PlayStation is building a new game development team in partnership with the Visual Arts Service Group (VASG), an award-winning, full-production studio that specializes in Animation, Motion Capture, Cinematics, Art and Scanning. This is the same world-class team known for its contributions to beloved franchises like Uncharted, Death Stranding, God of War and more. For more than a decade, we have shared knowledge, support and cutting-edge techniques with the very best developers in the industry: Naughty Dog, Kojima Productions, Guerrilla Games, Santa Monica Studios, Sucker Punch Productions, Bend Studio, Japan Studio, Insomniac Games and more.
This high visibility project is being developed in collaboration with a major Sony development studio. Though currently unannounced, we have a clear vision and plan to release. The new game development team will leverage our existing expertise and best-in-class talent, guaranteeing a high visual quality bar for the title.
- Use scripting language and other tools to implement and integrate complex gameplay scenarios
- Authoring readable scripts with comments that other members can adjust if needed
- Verify and fix scripts so that all design scenarios work as desired. Consideration for checkpoints, difficulty levels, and cinematics
- Collaborate across disciplines to get work done and clear dependencies
- Work directly with artists, programmers, animators and other game designers to contribute to the vision of the game
- Additional responsibilities will be assigned as needed
- Experience scripting complicated level scenarios & combat encounters considering checkpoints and game saves
- Good working knowledge of Maya, 3DS Max or similar 3D package
- Strong and effective communication skills
- Ability to focus and work without micro-management while adhering to schedules
- Preferred: 3+ years designing and scripting single-player levels for console games
- Previous experience shipping a 3rd person action game
- A shipped AAA title
- Console development experience
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.