PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Sr. Hardware Engineer
Sony Interactive Entertainment is looking for a hardworking hardware engineer interested in pushing the limits of technology. As the leaders of Cloud Gaming, the Hardware & Systems Engineering team is responsible for the design of the server technology powering PlayStation Now and other SIE Cloud services. As a Staff Hardware Engineer, you will develop new data center computing and storage technologies and assist with validation. With our mix of production and R&D projects, you will see exciting, fast-paced work every single day.
Our ideal engineer brings healthy creativity, a history of accomplishment and a desire to face unique new challenges.
- Define and create the next generation of PlayStation Cloud Computing
Your top-level work will center on contributing to architectural and design specifications and developing/validating hardware systems to meet those specifications. Your designs will include server, rack, power, cooling and interconnect.
- Work with suppliers and partners to realize success
You will define EVT, DVT and PVT success criteria and execute process for each stage. This includes participation in design process to offer creative solutions and remedies for issues. You will review all designs to meet product specifications and Sony/industry standards.
- Work with local and remote teams and suppliers to create product and services
You will provide design and delivery expertise to our Hardware and Systems Engineering team. You will create future products with internal Sony groups, external design firms and ODMs/OEMs. With internal and external resources; you will integrate and validate these products and create remedies to latent issues.
Qualifications and Skills
- BSc / MSc in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering
- Understanding of design considerations
- Thermal, mechanical and electrical design in a datacenter environment
- Fundamental understanding of the financial impact of your design decisions at scale
- Hands-on experience with electrical design
- Circuit and PCB design and prototyping
- Proficient with schematic capture and board layout software such as Cadence EDA
- Proficient with CAD tools such as AutoCAD/SolidWorks
- Working knowledge of global certification requirements and testing, including safety and EMC
- Deep knowledge of server components, such as CPUs, SSDs, GPUs, networking and interconnect
- Strong communication skills (English written and verbal. Japanese or Chinese a plus)
- Understanding of the relevant supplier offerings and overall supply chain
- 5-10 years of relevant work experience with electrical, system and rack-level design, through all stages of the development, manufacture and release cycles
- Previous experience developing Rack Scale solutions with shared power such as OCP, ODCC, Open19.
- Prior experience with HPC / Cluster technologies including high-speed interconnect fabrics. PCIe 4 / 5 or GenZ a plus
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.