PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
PlayStation Studios Visual Arts and PlayStation Studios Malaysia are both passionate teams within the PlayStation family, made up of game and film industry professionals from all over the world.
Always at the cutting edge of technology, the teams work with studios like Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Santa Monica Studios, Guerrilla Games, Bend Studios, SuckerPunch, San Diego Studio, Japan Studios, and more PlayStation first-party teams, providing world-class content development and services to these studios.
- Use modeling and texturing ability to create photorealistic living, breathing characters with personality.
- Create highly detailed and believable 3D character models and textures for use in-game.
- Ensure character assets are of the highest artistic quality and uphold the integrity of the games’ design and artistic vision.
- Follow the direction of art leads. Collaborate with other departments such as Concept Art, Animation, Rigging and Game Design to make sure artwork fits within the title’s vision.
- Serve as mentor for other artists.
- Work with production to follow and build schedules and to deliver assets on time.
- Work with outsourcing to help create and integrate art assets.
- Clearly communicate updates and voice concerns to the appropriate team members and manager(s)
- Contribute to the development of the artistic techniques and processes utilized to define and achieve a product's visual style or encourage artistic evolution within the studio
- Participate in research and development on latest tools tech and methodology.
- Capable of resolving a range of complex artistic development issues for both artists as well as other team members
- Actively improve skill set and abilities by keeping aware of industry trends and techniques, evaluating competitive products, learning new software packages and traditional art methods
- Minimum 5+ years of experience as a 3D character artist.
- Proactive self-starter.
- Familiarity with video game product development including, but not limited to workflow, tools, lighting, high and low poly modeling, texture painting, material setup, character skinning, surface sampling, mapping techniques, UV layout, in-game animation, character rigging and engine parameters/optimizations desirable
- Portfolio of realistic, highly detailed, 3D character models, with highly realistic textures (skin, hair, worn fabric/accessories, etc.), accurate anatomy, detailed clothing, etc.
- Portfolio should show quality, taste, and ability to hit a photorealistic/believable look.
- Mastery of standard art packages such as Maya, Photoshop, Zbrush and Substance Designer.
- Strong understanding of scale, proportion, human anatomy and surface properties.
- Good communication, organizational, time management and interpersonal skills
- Possess strong time management and prioritization skills.
- Experience working with a game engine and implementing 3D work into engine.
- Previous console experience with a shipped title is desired.
- Experience working on AAA titles as a character artist.
- Experience creating animals for AAA pipelines.
- Recommended Marvelous Design, Mari, Agisoft, Substance, Mudbox.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.