PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Senior Data Engineer, Data Ocean Platform
San Francisco, CA
This is a senior level position with the PlayStation Data Platform engineering team, to provide services and improvements managing our next generation data platform serving the global, fast growing, PlayStation Network.
Within the Data Ocean team, we pioneer new insights to support the growth and usability of the platform as well as support teams within the SIE organization.
Let's talk, if:
- The idea of crafting processes that will handle very large scale data appeals to you!
- You are passionate about making distributed systems faster and more efficient !
- You enjoy tackling complicated design challenges.
- You have implemented standard design methodologies for measuring, understanding and improving the system.
- You are willing to build a positive relationship with other SIE teams to help influence technology decisions.
- You are passionate about participating in a development process, establishing and influencing quality engineering standards.
- Perform a key role in the evolution of a highly performant data platform and associated processes, applying industry standards to enable highly available, extensible data services for the SIE platform
- Play a senior role in design, development and quality related tasks, working closely with other teams.
- Design and develop internal tools to increase awareness of Sony’s Data Platform, to improve both the visibility of our data as well as establishing systems and procedures make it easier to consume.
- You will be part of a team creating data processing services such as data reshaping, automated feature extraction and data measurement required to shorten the time to value for the data consumers.
- This position requires extensive hands-on technical domain expertise in data infrastructure along with excellent communication skills
- You will develop test scripts and scenarios to verify that your code meets Sony standards.
- You will participate in product road-map discussions and identify key areas for improvement.
- Willing to do what others do not do.
- Be Amazing
- BS Degree in Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years’ experience in software development using Java, Scala or Python programming, design, and analysis.
- Experience with distributed processing systems such as Apache Spark.
- Experience with Amazon's managed services related to compute processing and security.
- Experience delivering high performance, active-active, scalable services.
- Strong foundation in data engineering, data structures and software design.
- Experience with storage formats such as, Parquet / ORC / AVRO
- Experience with a hive compatible meta store catalog such as AWS Lake Formation.
- Interest in working with the data science and machine learning teams.
- Hands-on experience in cloud-based web services, at enterprise scale, AWS is preferable.
- Experience with agile TDD development methodologies.
- Possess the drive and passion for quality with the ability to inspire, excite and motivate other team members.
Strong verbal and written communication skills, and be able to work with others at all levels, effective at working with geographically remote and culturally diverse teams
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.