PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Data Scientist - Insights & Modeling
San Mateo, CA
The Global Store and Services team are part of a vibrant organization that manage both the transactional store and subscription businesses for PlayStation. GSS brings together staff from around the world, with a passion for engaging PlayStation gamers with relevant and entertaining content. This area of Sony Interactive Entertainment has seen significant growth in recent years to become a key revenue contributor and continues to evolve with the industry to create new business opportunities. As the central analytics organization within GSS, the Insights and Modeling team supports the commercial operations for GSS based on data-driven insights and storytelling. The team empowers the business with robust data analytics to effectively meet and exceed their commercial objectives. We are looking for individuals who are motivated by being part of a truly global team, working together at the forefront of digital content distribution.
Reporting to the Manager, Data Science, the Data Scientist will be responsible for shaping and running advanced analytics and modeling initiatives to support the strategic direction of the Global Store and Services team. The Data Scientist will focus on designing and executing statistical models to deliver insights and recommendations to expand business opportunities.
The ideal candidate is an enthusiastic and flexible team player with a solid technical skillset and strong analytical mind, is an excellent communicator, and thrives in a fast-paced commercial environment.
- Work cross-functionally to define problem statements, collect data, and apply statistics to complex business problems
- Develop custom data models and algorithms; be a self-starter with a passion for developing the best possible solution to the problem
- Optimize statistical models and algorithms to identify insights that are used to drive strategic decision-making across the organization
- Use quantitative analysis and the presentation of data to see beyond the numbers and understand what drives our business
- Wrangle constantly changing, large, and complex data on users and various forms of content using scripting and statistical tools such as SQL or Python
- Routinely communicate with stakeholders and leadership on modeling projects; present in a cohesive, logical, and fluent way from the original business question to data-driven strategy recommendation
- Liaise with business teams within GSS to identify and evaluate opportunity areas for advanced analytics initiatives
- Collaborate with other Data Scientists and analytics teams in the wider organization to drive business
- 5+ years’ experience in a commercially focused analytical role, preferably in the digital retail and/or digital entertainment industry
- Solid theoretical and practical understanding of Statistics (e.g. hypothesis testing, experimentation, regressions)
- Ability to take ambiguous problems and solve them in a structured, hypothesis-driven, data-supported way
- Proven track record of using data to drive business decisions with strong analytical skills including the ability to structure problems for analysis, analyze the data, and provide actionable recommendations
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to articulate ideas and present complex analysis to non-technical audiences
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively across different functions
- Ability to self-manage and balance multiple projects and priorities
- Ability to initiate and drive projects to completion with minimal guidance
- Fluency in SQL and at least one statistical language: Python, R
- Experience with analytical and visualization tools: Tableau, MicroStrategy, Qlik, Looker, databox
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant technical or mathematical field
- As the role is global, international travel will be required as well as a flexible approach to working hours to support global business operations
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.