PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Sony Bend Studio, renowned creator of Days Gone, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, and Syphon Filter, is seeking outstanding talent to join our passionate and creative family in crafting our next high-profile AAA console title.
Living in Bend, Oregon means saying goodbye to gridlock, concrete, and pollution. Use your Extra Life to shred at Mt. Bachelor, drag a line in the Deschutes River, hike in the wild, or perfect your game. Plug into adventure and community!
We are seeking a Lead FX Artist who will collaborate with the Art Director, VFX Supervisor, and FX team to create consistent, high quality, and performant in-game and cinematic visual FX. You will help mentor and guide the FX team, while also driving FX initiatives and assisting in the development of new solutions. In addition to creating FX content, you will help set department standards, troubleshoot technical issues, and participate in FX department tool development.
- Lead and drive FX initiatives while collaborating with other departments to develop and implement high quality and performant FX content.
- Content creation of visual FX across all areas of the game which set the industry leading standard for the team and the project.
- Leading by example in the team, working with the VFX Supervisor to assess, recruit, and develop the FX team to support studio goals and initiatives.
- Work with and mentor FX Artists to provide clear direction and set expectations for aesthetic and technical requirements.
- Collaborate with the project Art Director to ensure a consistent style and quality level across all the various types of game FX assets.
- Research and Develop new FX solutions, visually and technically.
- Partner with the Art Manager and Production department to deliver time estimates for FX creation.
- Work with your team to troubleshoot FX related issues in a timely manner and maintain your implementations throughout production.
- Work with graphics engineers to improve upon existing technologies and develop new ones that raise the bar of game FX, both visually and technically.
- Build documentation, communicate requirements, and provide feedback to internal artists and outsourcing partners.
- Track trends, the latest technology, the competition and the newest tools to constantly refine techniques while maintaining a foundation in established artistic practices.
- 10+ years’ experience as a professional FX artist in AAA games.
- Portfolio of realistic, high quality real-time FX work.
- Proficiency in fluid, particle, and rigid body simulations to create realistic FX in 3d packages such as Houdini, Maya, or 3dsMax.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong time management and organizational skills and an ability to prioritize work
- A deep comprehension of how real-time VFX influences performance and how to maintain visual standards while supporting game-play.
- Strong leadership, mentoring and teaching abilities
- Bachelor of art degree or equivalent industry experience and training
- Experience with a scripting or programming language
- Experience using popular game engines such as Unreal
- Experience building and maintaining FX tools/Rigs
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.