PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Associate QA Network Engineer
San Diego, CA
The Associate QA Network Engineer is responsible for performing and maintaining bandwidth and network test “sweeps” for online game titles, testing of components for our library of titles, (PSN, Mobile and PC), analyzing results and recommending customer actions, and acting on, creating and directing new testing strategies.
The role requires an ability to be a point of contact and frequent communicator with key customers and partners. Technical learning agility for internal members is expected. Metrics tracking and reporting is required. The engineer must focus on advanced network evaluations for online titles, compatibility of hardware and software performance, IT support and partnership, and WWS QA’s overall impact and support of our game studios across all platforms.
- Utilize LANForge, Omnipeek, WireShark, SCE-RT Parse and other network emulation software to test online titles with adverse network conditions including packet latency, packet loss, packet reordering, bandwidth restrictions, and more, on both wired and wireless network connections
- Analyze complex network results and provide detailed analysis to producers, developers, and other groups within the organization, including Online Technology Group
- Maintain a Compatibility Lab with hardware that supports Mobile and PC testing of our titles with existing, legacy and new devices and technologies to support the requirements of the business as it evolves.
- Responsible for supporting entire internal network setup of WWS QA’s test floor including VLAN’S, IP assignments, wireless access points; have an understanding of network architectures from an IT perspective.
- Have experience and ability to lead a Continual Process Improvement (CSI) model and to focus on developing new strategies.
- Collection of metrics and reports for presentation and review, to continually improve operations and to support management’s vision and decision-making
- Utilize depth and experience on network emulation tools, network protocols, and network architecture as a basis for technical leadership and coaching of other team members
- Support new initiatives and partner with other internal teams , including IT, for seamless integration of new technology into our internal networks (i.e. new wireless hardware) and protection of our customer’s products against changes to typical customer environments (i.e. Carrier Grade NAT technology and ISP’s).
- At least 2 years total of game industry QA experience or 3+ years of QA experience in any industry
- A minimum 1 year of experience performing activities related to testing network performance and/or online communication of software products
- Computer Science or Computer Engineer degree (with network development and OSI protocol stack study) OR applicable CompTIA, or Cisco (CCNA/CCNP) network certification coursework OR 3+ years applicable experience with key technical skills below (which fulfills the network certification topics) preferred
- ITIL training is preferred but not required
- OSI Model (network protocol stack, including IP, UDP, TCP)
- Other protocols and technology (DHCP, DNS, SNMP, 802.11, NAT, CGN)
- Packet Capture and Analysis, with tools like Wireshark, Omnipeek, or tcpdump
- Network Emulation for degrading/evaluating network performance, with tools like LANForge or Shunra
- Understanding and experience with routers, firewalls, switches, as wells as PC and Mobile hardware and software compatibility and performance metric
- A+ Certification is preferred but not required
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.