PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Sr. Performance Media Buyer, Social
San Mateo, CA
SIE is rethinking Digital Marketing, launching an in-house digital media buying team and building an outstanding data foundation. The team will be entrepreneurial at its core: laying the foundation of a new internal marketing function while growing and evolving to satisfy the needs of PlayStation’s businesses.
The person in this role will handle the end-to-end campaign management of social activity, including trafficking campaigns, tags, handling budget and pacing, and setting up campaigns. Over time this team will buy the majority of programmatic, search and social media that drives direct return on investment for Sony PlayStation, with a focus on our digital businesses in mature markets. The role will initially focus primarily on paid social, although there will be scope to expand to other channels. The ideal candidate will have a strong social background as well as additional experience across other biddable channels and will be very proactive in providing suggestions and solutions to improve the team’s activity.
Campaign Planning: Work with media planning teams to translate media strategies into biddable campaigns which maximize the platform features and our first party audiences. You will plan across PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Store, PlayStation®Plus, PlayStation™Now, PlayStation™Direct, and acclaimed PlayStation software titles from SIE Worldwide Studios- you will tailor plans to meet the individual challenges and objectives of each vertical. Use your knowledge of the platforms and relationships with the partners to ensure we are fully using their capabilities and recommend strategies and solutions which best meet our business needs.
Campaign Setup and QA: Design the process, including the campaign build, ensuring standard methodologies are followed across the board as well the QA checks, ensuring all campaigns run flawlessly. The buyer will need to partner with internal and external teams to make sure all 1st party audiences are available and implemented accurately for each campaign. Act as the primary point of contact with other teams to ensure ad ops, billing and relevant documentation is all processed correctly.
Campaign Management and Optimizations: Lead the day-to-day optimizations of campaigns. Monitoring campaign performance, pacing and troubleshooting. In addition, you will monitor audience performance data analysis and actively optimize across platforms while measuring performance and recommending further opportunities to drive performance. It will be important for the Buyer to be proactive in suggesting new processes to improve automation and streamline the process.
Analytics and Reporting: You will create weekly and post-campaign performance reports for the global Media Team, which will provide analysis, insights, and some visualization. You will also collaborate with the Marketing Technology team and use data analytics to ensure all testing initiatives are set-up and measured appropriately so valuable creative and media insights can be gathered by end of test/campaign. Work to refine the working process, constantly looking to enhance automation.
Billing Responsibility: Responsible for the billing and actualization across all programmatic campaigns, ensure campaigns are tracking to budget.
People Management: You will actively mentor other team members and provide guidance, QA support, etc., across job functions mentioned above. You will delegate and prioritize tasks accordingly and drive the day-to-day responsibilities of the team.
New opportunities: Work with our partners to identify new opportunities for our activity and add them to our test and learn roadmap. You will implement tests, ensure their smooth delivery and report findings back to the wider business. As new team, you will play a crucial role in the future developments of our activity.
- Bachelor's degree, MBA and/or equivalent experience preferred
- 5-7 years of experience in media planning and/or media activation, with hands-on executional experience with planning and leading large-scale programmatic activity
- Extensive knowledge in Facebook, Snapchat and Twitter and Adobe Omniture
- Specialist in most recent global privacy legislation, such as: GDPR, CCPA, COPPA and more
- In-depth knowledge of media planning fundamentals e.g. reach, frequency, formats, measurement etc. and how they can translate to business metrics
- Consistent track record handling high campaign volume, large budgets, complex strategies across multiple channels and driving quantifiable results
- Advanced experience in working with Excel (e.g. PivotTables, Pivot Graph, Data Table, etc.)
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit – this is a team being built from the ground up, requiring someone eager to dive into the new challenges & rewards that will come with joining Sony PlayStation’s in-house media buying function from the beginning.
- Cross-channel media strategy: the skills to connect programmatic, search and social media plans to larger Sony Media objectives
- Knowledge of biddable channels beyond social, including search and programmatic
- Ability to balance multiple priorities and maintain strong attention to detail
- Work under pressure and with short deadlines across multiple teams with fragmented, vertical priorities
- Ability to spot problems before they arise, and constantly looking for ways to improve ways of working
- Articulate complex technology-related issues and educating ranges of audiences
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with cross-function teams
- Self-starter with passion, energy, enthusiasm to get results and affect meaningful change
- Strong interest in video games and entertainment
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.