PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Product Design Manager
San Francisco, CA
Who is a Product Design Manager at PlayStation?
You are a natural leader; you are a master of your craft and an accomplished Individual Contributor. You know you can do the work, but you take more pride in helping others do better. Solving a design challenge is just as appealing as tuning your team formation and taking your team of skilled designers to higher personal and professional heights. Your understanding of strategy, business objectives and KPIs allows you the insight to point your team towards the right objective, the success of your team, your partners and your product are what drives you.
You crave the opportunity to shape the experience of millions of users in one of the world’s largest game and content distribution platforms. You will work hand in hand with a cross-functional team of best-in-class Art Directors, Designers, Engineers, and Business Partners to ideate, communicate and define our product experiences.
You will join our team in the heart of San Francisco’s SOMA district and will become a part of the global SONY design community. A group that celebrates the value of design, design thinking and design process. You will have the opportunity to collaborate with a global team of designers focused on elevating the standard of design across the organization and explore state-of-the-art concepts and technology.
Join us. Be Epic!
What We Need You to Do
- Gain a deep understanding of the PlayStation brand, products and services
- Advance the overall quality and understanding of design thinking and execution across the team, while advocating for a User-Centered Design process.
- Mentor, lead and inspire designers to achieve outstanding work and innovative product ideas based on research and insights.
- Deliver clear guidance and execution strategies to ensure delivery
- Manage multiple projects, assign tasks and team responsibilities
- Maintain a forward understanding of design and technology trends and standard methodologies.
- Able to adapt processes and create new ones to ensure team success
- Able to navigate ambiguity and work autonomously
- Collaborate cross-functionally with Product Management, Engineering, and Research in high-level strategic decisions to drive outstanding, innovative product designs and User Experience
- Actively contribute as a designer on products
What you bring
- BA/BS in Interactive, Visual or Product Design, Human Factors or equivalent experience.
- At least 5 years of experience in a management or leadership role leading teams in interface, application and web design.
- 7+ years of experience building user-centered interactive designs.
- A strong design portfolio demonstrating thoughtful, simple and intuitive interactions as well as stunning visuals, with phenomenal motion, across various contexts: large-scale digital experiences, websites, mobile applications, etc.
- In-depth understanding of pattern planning, design governance and user interface guidelines development.
- Excellent communication, presentation, analytical skills, and able to clearly articulate concepts and their rationale.
- Expert knowledge of design tools (e.g. Sketch, Photoshop, etc.) for wireframing and high-fidelity mockups.
- Enjoy participating in user testing, heuristic analysis, research, contextual interviews, competitive and analogous research to help craft, guide and refine ground-breaking design solutions.
- Ability to work, improve and expand and improve existing design systems/components.
- Experience working for top brands/products a plus.
- Experience working with decentralized, large and/or global teams a plus.
- Experience crafting for a global audience in multiple languages is a plus.
- Bonus: You have a passion for gaming.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.