PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Sony Interactive Entertainment
Cloud Gaming Engineering & Infrastructure
Aliso Viejo, CA
Principal Hardware Engineer
SIE is looking for a talented hardware engineer interested in pushing the limits of technology. As the leaders of Cloud Gaming, the Hardware & Systems Engineering team is responsible for the design of the server technology powering PlayStation Now and other SIE Cloud services. As a [Staff / Principal] Hardware Engineer, you will lead the development of new server designs, assist with validation and develop novel new data center technologies. Never a dull day, the healthy mix of both production and R&D projects ensures that the work is both challenging and fast paced.
Our ideal candidate is an accomplished engineer that enjoys facing new challenges and the sense of accomplishment from tackling them..
- Create the next generation of Playstation Cloud Compute: Specify, design, develop and validate hardware systems including server, rack, power, cooling and interconnect.
- Work with local and remote teams and suppliers to define product roadmap and program direction.
- Provide technical leadership to Hardware and Systems Engineering team, collaborate with internal Sony resources and with external design firms and ODM/OEM partners to deliver future solutions
- Manage and monitor manufacturing partners through EVT, DVT and PVT development stages to ensure joint success. Ensure proper exit criteria set and met for each stage.
- Perform hardware integration and functionality validation with internal and external resources and drive failure analysis.
- BSc / MSc in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering
- 10+ years of relevant work experience in electrical, system and rack level design through all stages of the development, manufacture and release cycle.
- Hands-on experience with circuit, PCB design and prototyping
- Previous experience developing Rack Scale solutions with shared power such as OCP, ODCC, Open19. Understanding of thermal, mechanical and electrical design considerations for solutions operating in a datacenter environment.
- Prior experience with HPC / Cluster technologies including high-speed interconnect fabrics. PCIe 4 / 5 or GenZ a plus
- Deep knowledge of server components: CPUs, SSDs, GPUs, networking and interconnect.
- Proficient with schematic and board layout software such as Cadence EDA and CAD tools such as AutoCAD/Solidworks
- Fundamental understanding of the financial impact of your design decisions at scale
- Strong understanding of the relevant supplier offerings and overall supply chain. You have a finger on the pulse of the market.
- Strong communication skills (English written and verbal. Japanese or Chinese a plus)
- Working knowledge of global Safety Standards and certification requirements
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.