PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Data Governance Manager
San Mateo, CA
At Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE), we believe data is a critical business asset that facilitates business operations, empowers decision making, and provides vital insights into the improvement and innovation of PlayStation products and services. In an era where growth of data is outpacing an organization’s ability to get value from it, the Data Governance and Literacy team is tasked with the mission to continuously advance a driven culture that fosters effective yet responsible use of data.
You will lead the governance arm of the Data Governance and Literacy team, focusing on implementation of a data stewardship framework to operationalize data policies across the organization. Policies are pointless without associated accountability and practices that put the policies to work! You will establish yourself as a driver of such process. As you do, you will acquire a holistic view of data operations in a company that has a massive scale, and in the process be rewarded with a broad understanding of the business as well as the opportunity to work with a wide range of high-caliber teams across the globe.
- Lead the data stewardship program:
- Develop and execute a roadmap to implement data stewardship globally, initially focusing on data privacy but can be extended over time to cover other standards such as data quality, data security, and data curation.
- Design and improve governance processes to maximize efficiency
- Establish and measure accountability in each involved department
- Appoint, train and lead data stewards
- Develop program measurement metrics
- Develop in-depth knowledge of privacy concepts and regulations and how PlayStation features and operations are designed to meet them. Champion privacy-by-design not just as risk avoidance but as ambitious advantage.
- Calibrate data privacy policies and guidelines so they are actionable, enforceable, and practical
- Analyze data activities to understand risks and offer data governance mentorship.
- Support day-to-day data governance activities such as PlayStation feature reviews. Ensure good balance between compliance and efficiency in all governance processes.
- Build and maintain relationships with business and technical teams. Advocate data governance globally.
- Self-starter with ability to roll up your sleeves, lead and influence
- 5+ years’ progressive experience in data governance, data stewardship, compliance, or program management
- Strong knowledge of data privacy highly preferred
- Seasoned in relationship building across functions and with senior leaders
- Strong process champion, understand what it takes to turn policies into actions, and have experience doing so successfully
- Broad understanding of data operations (e.g. relational vs non-relational, streaming data, API, ETL, data lake vs warehouse etc.).
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.