PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Corporate Counsel, Employment Law & Corporate Compliance
San Mateo, CA
This is an exciting opportunity to play an important role in shaping Sony Interactive Entertainment's (SIE) compliance and employment legal advice efforts promote a framework where SIE and our players can thrive. The right candidate is a mid-level attorney, experienced in engaging across various functions, able to think-outside the box, and provide efficient and pragmatic advice. If your only experience is working in a law firm, you will need to take off your law firm hat and put on your legal/business hat. This position will report to SIE’s lead internal compliance and HR counsel and is based in SIE’s global headquarters in San Mateo, California. Come join the global leader in gaming!
- Reporting to the lead internal compliance and HR counsel, be a trusted legal partner to the organization on sensitive and wide-ranging employment law matters including hiring and recruiting, employee relations, discipline, investigations, wage and hour compliance, leaves of absence, reasonable accommodation, terminations, workforce restructuring activities and related matters.
- Investigate and respond to demand letters and agency complaints and audits (e.g., EEOC, DFEH, DOL, OFCCP, DLSE, etc.).
- Ensure SIE’s compliance with applicable federal, state, and local labor and employment laws (Title VII, ADA, ADEA, FEHA, etc.).
- Assist with corporate compliance programs in areas such as export control, third-party due diligence and conflict of interest.
- Investigate reports to the Sony Ethics & Compliance Hotline.
- Admission to CA state bar is required.
- At least 5 years of related experience.
- Excellent written/verbal communication and negotiation skills.
- Able to strike a balance pragmatism, risk, and compliance.
- Highly responsive and service-oriented attitude.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and manage deadlines in a fast-based and demanding work environment.
- Ability to maintain strong working relationships with demanding internal clients.
- Sound and practical business judgment.
- Substantial experience with delivering advice and counsel to clients such as Human Resources particularly in the areas of California and federal labor and employment laws, including wage and hour, disability accommodation, discrimination and harassment.
- Experience with conducting and managing internal and external investigations.
- In-house experience.
- Employment litigation experience (state and federal).
- Experience with international employment law issues (especially Canada and Latin America).
- Experience with compliance programs involving export controls, sanctions, FCPA, anti-money laundering, and anti-trust.
- Experience advising clients in high-tech or interactive entertainment industries.
- Experience with the preparation and delivery of live and online training on employment law topics.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.