PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Player Behavior Scientist
San Mateo, CA
As a data-rich company, we are continuing to strengthen the analytics functions and are now looking for a proactive, result-orientated Player Behavior Scientist within the growing Marketing Analytics team.
This is a critical and exciting role within the Global Marketing team at SIE! This role will be comprised of 3 main areas:
- Fundamentally understanding and visualizing the Player Behavior landscape at PlayStation. Work as a liaison between the Decision Science team, Marketing leadership team, and the in-house insight platform partners to conceptualize thought-provoking data visualization. Collaborate closely with Marketers globally to understand their data needs both today and tomorrow and help raise their self-serve data proficiency by guiding them through the in-house insight platforms
- Ideating concepts of multiple dashboards relevant for various marketing verticals with the lens of Player Segmentation based on a profound understanding of the in-house Segmentation model
- Supporting the Marketing organization and the Marketing Analytics group by responding to ad-hoc data and insight queries, providing them with best-in-class deliverables drawing from a range of data & insight sources. This entails creating appealing presentations which transform the complexities of statistics into meaningful insights
- Rapidly prototyping new pieces of strategic decision sciences solutions to fill gaps in knowledge, improve the insight platforms, while providing value within the team, department, and wider organization
- Analytical/Data Skills
- Strong analytical knowledge base, embracing a methodical approach firmly focusing on the Players, their behaviors and associated trends.
- Expertise in SQL, data visualization and good working knowledge of Python and R
- Interpretation of trends as well as the ability to draw insights from the dynamic gaming industry
- Proficient in using tools like Qlik, Tableau, MicroStrategy, Excel, and Powerpoint
- Experience in various data visualization technique, and defining the business KPIs for various Engagement, Sales and Subscription marketing initiatives
2) Communication & Networking Skills
- Ability to communicate complex ideas and analysis clearly, efficiently and influentially, both verbally and in writing
- Experience in leading projects with analytical vendors or partners
- Ability to tailor the communication according to different partner audiences and cultures across the business and the globe
- Desire to build strong working relationships across the globe with other data/analytics communities both internally and externally
- A self-starter with the capacity to exercise initiative and creativity appropriately, make informed decisions and request mentorship when necessary.
- Ability to thrive in a globally dispersed team, where partners and team members may be in a different time zone.
- Collaborative nature with experience of working cross-functionally with teams such as Sales and Marketing.
- Passionate teammate with an inquisitive, innovative approach and ability to think creatively!
- Comfortable with ambiguity and a rapidly evolving technology industry.
- Strong interest or experience in the video gaming industry
- At least 6+ years of relevant experience in analytics and at least 2 years in marketing-related analytics work
- Relentlessly high standards, with a phenomenal sense of ownership over your work
- Relevant Degree (Masters preferred) and good grounding on other analytical related work knowledge in statistics and modeling
- In-Line with SIE ‘Game Changers’ SIE Attitudinal Behavior Approaches: Explore; Build; Collaborate; Communicate; Deliver
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.