PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Systems Software Engineer, Developer Technology
PlayStation HQ: San Mateo, CA
We are interested in all levels of experience
Are you passionate about bleeding edge technology? Do you enjoy developing engineering solutions for software used by tens-of-millions of passionate technology loyalists around the world? Would you like a career opportunity that combines both your passion for games and skills as a software engineer? Then you need to come and play with us here at Sony PlayStation!
We have an exciting opportunity to join our Global Developer Technology Group here at PlayStation HQ in San Mateo, CA. We seek a systems software engineer to lead studios from AAA to Indie, solve complex engineering problems and research and develop innovative techniques, algorithms, and tools. If this is you, we want to hear from you!
What You’ll Do
- Become an expert in the hardware and technology of PlayStation®
- Work with leading AAA developers and engineers around the world
- Directed R&D with the opportunity to create new technology for game developers
- Focus on PlayStation® systems technology at the deepest levels and areas of specialization
- Have ownership of projects that impact PlayStation® technology and game engineers directly
- Have early access to PlayStation technology to support, educate, and push the boundaries of game technology
What You’ll Learn
- Develop broad and deep knowledge of console hardware, systems and I/O
- Gain insight into the technology pipelines of the industry’s leading developers
- Learn how PlayStation® became the market leader in gaming technology
Your Responsibilities to the Team
- Have a strong desire to educate others and help people with problems
- Lead and develop innovative techniques, algorithms and tools that take advantage of our advanced platform architectures to maximize quality and performance on PlayStation® platforms
- Promote and foster innovation within the systems team to produce creative solutions to problems
- Develop projects frameworks that will be the foundation of future research projects.
- Analyze software problems and provide actionable items to developers
- Be able to perform responsibilities with little direction or supervision
- Be comfortable speaking to large groups
- Other tasks assigned as necessary
Interests, what you’ve done in the past
- Be passionate about console games
- Have extensive experience with C, C++ and low-level development
- Have experience working with game engine core technology on shipped titles (memory managers, file systems, job systems, audio systems, etc)
- Obsessed with optimizations and efficiency
- Have a track record of delivering professional products within time and on budget
- Tired of long hours crunching at work and not having enough time for yourself and family
About Global Developer Technology Group (GDTG)
GDTG is regarded as a global leader in providing deep technical expertise to game developers. As an engineer in GDTG, you will be part of a world-class team focused on finding answers and solutions to complex challenges developers face. If you love stretching the limits of what is technically possible, and you are eager to learn new things, then you will fit right in.
Our team works closely with various Sony family groups across the globe from San Mateo, Tokyo, to London, helping to define PlayStation technology now and in the future.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.