PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Business Analyst, Data Governance & Literacy
San Mateo, CA
“The growth of data is outpacing an organization’s ability to get value from it”, said a prominent research firm. The Data Governance & Literacy team in Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is set up to drive responsible and effective use of data, thereby enabling a data-driven culture to harness the most value from our data. This is accomplished by governing data as a valuable enterprise asset (responsible) and continuously elevating the organization’s level of data literacy (effective).
Based at our San Mateo, CA headquarter, this role focuses on building out an enterprise data catalog to enable data consumers to quickly find, understand, and trust data. This initiative is central to SIE’s data literacy journey. As an analyst, you will develop an in-depth understanding of the organizational needs for better context of data, as well as better ways to capture and share data knowledge. With that understanding, you will develop intelligent and scalable solutions to meet these needs, such as through metadata automation and smart content management.
- Thoroughly understand how the data catalog works: its purpose, features, strengths, and limitations.
- Explore better ways to present content, such as through customizations of the UI.
- Recognize and act on opportunities for automation, such as extracting meaningful metadata from other sources to enrich the contextual understanding of data.
- Develop reports to measure quality of content and user adoption
- Enrich data catalog content through curation of data knowledge as well as relentless pursuit in better organization of information.
- Expand the enterprise data catalog to include high-value data sources and assets, working towards our goal to create the most informative knowledge repository of our data assets.
- Drive adoption and crowd-sourcing of data knowledge
- Work closely with Data Engineering teams to implement new tooling and enhancements.
- You are an absolute self-starter
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, or related fields
- 4+ years of work experience as a business/systems analyst (or other relevant capacity) or 2+ year as a software/data engineer.
- You have hands-on experience in at least 2 of the following areas:
- Performing metadata management, master data management, or other data governance activities
- Working with 3rd party APIs
- Development with Python or other relevant programming languages.
- Experience generating reports, metrics, or dashboards (Tableau preferred)
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.