PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Senior Counsel, Public Policy & Government Affairs
San Mateo, CA
Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE or PlayStation) seeks an experienced attorney to serve as our Senior Counsel for Public Policy and Government Affairs. The video game industry’s policy issues are increasingly broad and encompass many areas where regulation, public policy, business and technology intersect.
This role is an exciting opportunity to play a key role in driving SIE’s government relations efforts and shaping public policies that promote a framework where SIE and our players can thrive. The right candidate is an experienced, effective and practical attorney who can drive U.S. and also global strategy around SIE’s public policy activities and play a critical role in SIE’s engagement with trade associations, government (state and federal), governmental agencies and NGOs. This position will report to SIE’s Vice President - Deputy General Counsel and is based in SIE’s global headquarters in San Mateo, California.
- Monitor public policy developments, identify emerging trends and translate policy developments into meaningful guidance and strategic advice for leadership and business stakeholders.
- Analyze legislative, regulatory and executive initiatives related to the company’s business and draft or contribute to amendments, comments and position papers.
- Represent the company with global trade organizations to craft strategy and drive policy and government relations efforts.
- Advocate for SIE externally and bring external perspectives back into the company to inform our perception and direction.
- Coordinate with stakeholders within SIE to develop positions on key policy issues, which align with business initiatives.
- Build and maintain a strategic network of stakeholders, including representatives from other game industry companies, associations, coalitions and other third-party allies, with the purpose to share our visions, align our common interests and promote the development of our industry.
- Guide the company’s interactions with government on policy and business initiatives; engage directly with policymakers and regulators to bring an understanding of SIE’s business and influence decisions.
- At least 10 years relevant experience, with a mix of in-house and top-tier law firm and government experience
- JD or LLM degree from top law school
- Admission to a U.S. state bar. California State Bar membership is preferred. At a minimum, the candidate must be qualified for and quickly obtain Registered In-House Counsel status in California and maintain that status during employment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, impeccable integrity, good judgment, strong analytical skills, and a keen sense of humor
- Strong team orientation, encouraging communication and cooperation across organizations and functions
- Collaborative approach with groups within SIE and across industry companies and trade associations, with strong ability to build relationships, gain credibility, and partner with others
- Demonstrated ability to engage with government, regulatory and NGO officials
- Demonstrated ability to support and collaborate with cross-functional stakeholders
- Legal expertise in several of the following areas: First Amendment, intellectual property & content protection, data privacy, data security, consumer protection issues, Federal Trade Commission practice, e-commerce law & taxation issues, tax credits, DMCA rulemaking, net neutrality, trade law & regulations, accessibility laws & regulations, PACs, litigation, including intellectual property, class actions, products liability litigation
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally
- Enthusiasm and passion for technology, law, and business
- Experience in the video-game industry a strong plus
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.