PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Consumer Insights, Tracking & Syndicated Research Lead
San Mateo, CA
Consumer Insights, Tracking & Syndicated Research Lead
San Mateo, CA
Our Consumer Insights team is looking for a Tracking & Syndicated Research Lead who will be responsible for the management, implementation, analysis, reporting, and creative presentation of various forms of consumer research and analysis, supporting strategic initiatives within Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE).
Are you an expert at leading complex qualitative and quantitative research, with first had experience building complicated and crucial global tracking programs? Do you have a passion for video gaming and a desire to push the research discipline to new and innovative places? If so, we are looking for someone like you to join our team!
Your role's focus is on maximizing PlayStation’s investment in tracking and syndicated research. For this critically important role, you would need to find patterns in data that others cannot see, and then use the insight that generates to inspire positive change across our organization. You should have firm beliefs around what drives success within our industry, but those beliefs should be loosely held and open to evolving in the course of your work. And you'll need to be proactive in the ways you use research tools, as it will be your responsibility to alert the business of emerging trends, opportunities, and threats across and beyond our industry.
Overall, you will help answer critical, and often expansive, business questions, collaborating with internal and external partners as needed. Through this process, you will personally immerse yourself in the information, giving you the context needed to improve the business’s understanding and value of your contribution. You will lead the construction of fair and meticulous arguments around those answers in a way that is engaging and convincing for your intended audience.
Ultimately, you will represent the voice of the consumer within PlayStation, using your deep and broad understanding of their needs, behaviors, and motivations to help your partners make better choices. You will be a strategic leader and trusted advisor to teams within PlayStation’s Global Marketing organization, as well as other key partners from the broader business. You should value and be skilled in the application of both data and storytelling, and understand that each needs the other to be truly transformative. You also should be excited to learn more about video games, those who play, and related areas of digital entertainment each and every day.
Key Function and Responsibility of the Role:
- Represent the consumer in terms that are relevant to and drive more informed choices within the business
- Bring to bear SIE's investment in primary and secondary research to derive insights and provide strategic leadership to internal partner groups
- Become an expert on both the company and the gaming industry and a trusted internal consultant on strategic decision-making across SIE’s key business areas
- Design and execute globally-appropriate research projects in the best way possible
- Manage external partners and other resources to design, field, report, and present outstanding research projects
- Help find opportunities, identify unmet consumer needs, and highlight market whitespace for SIE
- Provide strategic counsel to key partners both within SIE PlayStation and at the organization’s key external partners
- Build reports and presentations that demonstrate research observations and insights across projects to communicate larger themes across the organization
- Support an environment of feedback and learning across the Consumer Insights department
- Monitor project budgets, ensuring that funds are spent responsibly, tracked meticulously, are directed at the questions most valuable to the business, and do not exceed budgeted totals
- Identify, recommend, track, and report behavioral and attitudinal important metrics, both globally, and when appropriate, regionally, territorially, and by country
- Maintain a library of the department’s research results and other data sources, drawing on that information to perform ad hoc analysis
- Lead the connection between Consumer Insights and Marketing Analytics, ensuring the partnership is as mutually beneficial as possible
- Proven ability to convert a set of raw data into a story that is accurate, relevant, and useful to the organization
- High levels of proficiency in cross-tabulation portals and/or analytical software (e.g. SPSS, SAS, R, Tableau, etc.)
- Advanced understanding of survey sample design, quota techniques, weighting and normalization, and knowledge of how to collect primary data in a fashion which ensures ability to represent a larger population for forecasting and volumetric analysis.
- Expert in PowerPoint slide design, with a focus on data visualization and research reporting
- Ample experience with theory in survey design and survey writing with demonstrated understanding of accurate question ordering, pitfall avoidance, unambiguous question wording, accurate implementation of survey logic, etc.
- Proficient on an elevated level in survey programming software tools (e.g. Qualtrics, Decipher, SurveyGizmo, or similar)
- Good knowledge of advanced statistical and analytical methodologies relevant to the practice of Consumer Insights (e.g. Choice Modelling, MaxDiff, TURF analysis, derived importance, etc.)
- Minimum two years of experience in a similar Consumer Insights function within the gaming or broader entertainment industry, with at least five years of expertise with research or data analysis
- Advanced degree or higher in Statistics or similar quantitative field of study (e.g. Math, Economics, Engineering, Physics, etc.)
Required Professional Skills:
- Proven talent to represent qualitative and quantitative research methodologies, analysis, and insights clearly and concisely to senior-level decision-makers and executives, whether it be good or bad news
- Ability to clearly communicate the most important strategic findings of a data set or research study, both through your own report-writing abilities, or guiding outside consultants to ensure that final reports meet high standards of excellence
- Outstanding reporting and presentation skills with a demonstrable ability to effectively communicate through beautifully written reports, compelling presentations, succinct summary documents, clear and concise emails, and any other way you could envision
- Success working for or managing relationships and administrative processes with multiple research suppliers and agency partners
- Very organized, with a penchant for data accuracy and an eye for detail
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.