PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
It is an exciting time to be part of SIE’s Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) team. SREs operate right at the intersection of Software Engineering and Infrastructure Engineering. The SRE team strives to make the Platform a highly reliable, scalable, operable and secure product and service.
The Network Content & Delivery team within SIE’s Platform Hosting Engineering organization provides critical services used across all platform teams that enable end-to-end connectivity between our players, our partners, and all internal services. SREs on the team work closely with developers, operations teams, and leadership to ensure we have a secure, distributed edge, robust L2/3, and advanced L7 routing capabilities.
- Build, deploy and operate a combination of open source, custom written, and vendor provided software to provide network and content delivery capabilities across the PlayStation Network platform
- Collaborate with multiple software engineering teams to integrate network and content delivery solutions across the entire infrastructure
- Build automation to provide self-service capabilities for on-boarding new services into the network and content delivery solutions
- Participate in an on-call rotation to ensure 24/7/365 availability of the tools and services delivered by the team
- Equally adept at software development and systems engineering/operations
- Expert level experience at building, deploying and operating services at scale
- Hands on experience in working with distributed systems and ‘illities” (availability, reliability, scalability, etc.) of the services
- Excellent troubleshooting skills that span code, system, and network (TCP/IP). Ability to zoom in from code to JVM garbage collection problem to packet loss in the network
- Ability to design and provide operational and infrastructural requirements that promote uptime, speed and security at all phases of the software lifecycle on a global scale.
Required Foundational Skills
- Fluency with running distributed services at scale with performance
- Demonstrated experience following software engineering best-practices
- In depth understanding of Unix/Linux systems internals and networking
- Experience with automation and configuration management tools
- Experience in public cloud services and deployment (Prefer AWS experience)
- Experience deploying and supporting network and content delivery pipelines in a large enterprise environment
- Strong software development experience in one of these languages: Go, Perl, Python or Java
- Knowledge of the software development lifecycle with experience integrating Open Source tools
- Strong ability to troubleshoot complex issues ranging from system resources to application stack traces
- Experienced user of one or more source code management tools
- Strong hands-on experience in building and maintaining infrastructure for micro services
- Experience with Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery/Deployment tools like Jenkins, Bamboo, or similar
- Should have experience in developing tools for system configuration, deployment, and monitoring
- Strong belief in driving operational excellence with owning efficiency and automation at the core of operations
- OBSESSIVE desire to automate and improve everything including process improvements, standardizing tools and technologies!
- Methodical and systematic problem-solving approach
- Complete ownership of end to end solutions and managing their life cycle
- Execution oriented and results driven
- Customer and peer relationship focused with strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced team environment
- Ability to learn new skills/technologies quickly and independently
Required Specialization Skills
- Hands-on experience with at-least two or more of these load balancing technologies: Akamai, NGiNX, F5, AWS ELB/ALB/NLB
- Experience with VPN tunnel technologies and implementations
- Knowledge of how TLS certificates are created, managed, and implemented
- Implementation experience with network access controls such as AWS Security Groups, ACLs, iptables
- Experience with large scale DNS primary/secondary implementations and operation
- Knowledge of conditional-based traffic routing via methods like: host headers, URI, Geo
- Experience with web protocols like HTTP and HTTP/2
- Experience with traffic shaping methods like rate limiting and connection limiting
- Experience troubleshooting complex connectivity issues and in-depth knowledge of all OSI Network Layers
- BS in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent experience
- 7+ years professional experience at scale
- 3+ years experience operating network and content delivery technologies at scale
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.