PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Senior Software Engineer, Data Ocean Platform
San Francisco, CA
This is a senior level position with SIE's Data Ocean Platform engineering team to provide services and improvements within our next generation data platform serving the global, fast growing, PlayStation Network customer base.
In the Data Ocean team we socialize ideas, multi functionally, to support the growth and usability of the platform as well as to support teams within the SIE organization.
Let's talk, if:
- You are passionate about making distributed systems better and have desire to continually learn.
- You have deep expertise in system engineering and have successfully improved system performance.
- Are interested in pursuing topics such as data quality, SQL Engines, data storage formats, and data access performance !
- You have experience tackling complicated issues.
- You have implemented rigorous standard methodologies for measuring, understanding, predicting, and improving the system.
- You are willing to build a positive relationship with other SIE teams to help influence technology decisions.
- You have aggressively contributed to a development process establishing and influencing quality engineering standards.
- You enjoy developing new processes to refine the platform, growing performance and reducing costs.
- You will perform a key role in the evolution of a highly performant data platform and associated services, applying industry standards to enable highly available, extensible data services for the SIE platform
- Knowledge of the Hive platform or other data warehouse platform
- You will play a senior role in design, development and quality related tasks, working closely with other teams.
- You will design and develop internal tools to increase awareness of Sony’s Data Ocean to improve both the visibility and trust of data in the ocean.
- This position requires extensive hands-on technical domain expertise in data infrastructure along with excellent communication skills
- You will develop test scripts and scenarios to verify that your code meets Sony standards.
- You will participate in product road-map discussions and identify key areas for improvement.
- Willing to do what others do not do.
- Be Amazing
- BS Degree in Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years’ experience in software development using Java, design, and analysis.
- Experience delivering high performance, active-active, scalable services.
- Experience with storage formats such as Parquet / ORC / AVRO
- Experience with a hive compatible meta store catalog such as AWS Lake Formation, Glue, Apache Atlas, Netflix’s Metacat.
- Hands-on experience in cloud-based web services, at enterprise scale, AWS is preferable.
- Experience with agile TDD development methodologies.
- Possess the drive and passion for quality with the ability to inspire, excite and motivate other team members.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, and be able to work with others at all levels, effective at working with geographically remote and culturally diverse teams.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.