PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Royalty Accounting Manager
San Mateo, CA
The position is for the role of Senior Royalty Accountant directly reporting to the Manager, Royalty. A key area of SIE is the PSN business. Since the inception of PSN (2006), SIE has offered online 1st/ 2nd/3rd party game, video, music, and television content & services. Operating under the wholesale price model, content is purchased at a WSP, which represents the royalty/cost SIE pays to each partner. The Sr. Royalty Accountant is responsible to accurately record the activity and manage the cost of sales and payables due to each 3rd party game publisher, and associated margin of digital business.
- Manage and calculate all related cost and margin related to all PSN business
- Prepare, analyze, and maintain royalties for all digital sales including month end accruals, quarterly statement preparation and payment requests.
- Track and analyze royalty advances/pub funds and agreements for all 3rd party digital publishers; Have good understanding of accounting treatment for amortization and deferrals
- Month end close responsibilities encompassing journal entries, account reconciliation, and balance sheet schedules
- Collaborate closely with TPR, Legal, and regional RHQs on new agreements, buyouts, co-marketing deals and various other special deals from a Finance perspective. Take ownership of these relationships and be the main contact.
- Interpret reports and records for managers/stakeholders and communicate with internal/external groups for sales or royalty related issues.
- Ad hoc projects and other miscellaneous accounting functions
- BS Degree in Business Administration with a concentration in Accounting or related field
- 5 years’ experience with good understanding of general ledger, statutory books, and month end close process
- Solid foundation in GAAP, with knowledge of royalty accounting and its concepts
- Strong accounting background and demonstrated the ability to read and interpret legal contracts and its contents
- Demonstrated skills in understanding of the trial balance, balance sheet, income statement, cash flow and footnote disclosures
- Solid oral communication skills and analytical skills
- Possess integrity and accountability and strong work ethic.
- Ability to take initiative and command of given responsibilities
- Experience in royalty software
- At least 5 years’ experience with experience in managing relationships with gaming publishers or external customers
- Experience with SAP & Oracle preferred
- Experience of online gaming industry
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.