PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
San Mateo, CA
As a senior data scientist in the Customer Lifecycle Management & Behavior Team you will be responsible for generating interpretable, meaningful models of human behavior to address current and future business needs. This entails using a variety of statistical, data mining, and machine learning techniques to determine the right model to build for each situation, extracting appropriate features for each model, generating and testing models, and working with subject matter experts, model validators, and engineers to create and productionize models that are both valid and useful.
- Apply advanced statistical, data mining, and machine learning techniques to translate business needs into reliable, valid models of user behavior
- Design, develop, and enhance predictive and behavioral models in order to:
- Identify moments or subgroups of interest
- Classify users or content
- Predict future behavior
- Make just-in-time recommendations
- Highlight patterns, anomalies, relationships, and trends
- Support long-term solutions and inform decision making
- Wrangle constantly changing, large, complex, high volume, high dimensional, sparse data
- Collaborate with business stakeholders and subject matter experts to ensure that developed solutions are reasonable, practical and meet business needs in a timely fashion
- Work collaboratively with other members of the team to select the most appropriate model for each situation and to determine each model’s constraints and failure conditions
- Work with engineers to utilize and improve in-house solutions that support model development and model production
- Advanced analytical and problem solving abilities and a flexible, curious approach to data
- Deep theoretical and applied understanding of Bayesian or frequentist statistics, data mining techniques, or machine learning techniques
- Extensive experience querying, manipulating, and analyzing a variety of different forms of data
- Understanding of the importance of feature engineering and performance tuning and their impact on the reliability, validity, and interpretability of models
- Ability to exhibit judgement and a realistic understanding of the issues, use reason and review facts, identify inconsistencies and weigh options, and make logical and timely decisions
- Aptitude for and interest in working with other methodological experts to develop a deeper understanding of modeling principles, learn new modeling methods or approaches, and identify the most appropriate model for a given question
- Experience building models at scale or in an industry setting
- Strong commitment to the generation of useful, reliable information
- Interest in and ability to work collaboratively with people with substantively different ways of thinking and areas of expertise
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.