PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
This internship is for Summer 2020.
Environment Artist Intern
Santa Monica Studio
- Builds content, including 3D modeling/sculpting, 2D texture map painting, material setup/UV layout, and LOD creation according to defined quality standards, artistic styles, conceptual designs, development pipelines, technical parameters and production goals.
- Works closely with the Art Director, Art Lead, Environment Artists, and Concept Artists to build environments that work aesthetically and represent concept work and creative vision.
- Skilled in level art workflow, including assembly, set dressing, and asset composition across levels.
- Demonstrates the ability to develop a comprehensive production pipeline and all engine features, tools and systems associated with the creation of art assets.
- Maintains the artistic goals and vision through all phases of the game development cycle from pre-production through final product release. This entails ensuring environment/level assets are of the highest artistic quality and uphold the integrity of the games design and artistic vision of the game as a whole.
- Maintains a solid knowledge of the games design to support communication and enable early identification of issues, as well as help drive participation in discussions.
- Facilitates requests or info needs regarding any aspect of the environment/level art creation process as needed.
- Actively improves skill set and abilities by keeping aware of industry trends and techniques, evaluating competitive products, learning new software packages and traditional art methods.
- Possesses strong time management and prioritization skills. Entails collaborating with Production group to develop task lists to ensure assignments are progressing in alignment with schedules, milestones and overall project objectives.
- Clearly communicates updates and accurately points out concerns to the appropriate team member(s) and manager(s).
- Currently enrolled in a BA or MA program majoring in Fine Arts, Visual Art, or Studio Arts
- Strong traditional fine art skills, training and production experience (illustration, painting, organic forms, color theory, perspective, 2D & 3D design.)
- Proficient in the use of Maya, (or 3D modeling package) Zbrush. Substance Designer and Painter experience preferred.
- Familiarity with video game product development including, but not limited to workflow, tools, lighting, high and low poly modeling, texture painting, particle systems, UV layout, in-game animation, material setup, layout, SFX and engine parameters/optimizations.
- Phenomenal communication, organizational, time management, and strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in a team-based environment is a positive.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.