PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Senior Product Counsel - PlayStation Store & E-Commerce
San Mateo, CA
Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE or PlayStation) seeks an experienced Senior Product Counsel to support PlayStation Store and related e-commerce services and activities on a global basis.
As Senior Product Counsel for PlayStation Store, you will get to work with a variety of teams across our global business, including commerce, product and engineering teams that are focused on growth of e-commerce on the PlayStation platform. The breadth of responsibilities for Product Counsel starts from product inception, goes through development, product launch and continues as the products evolve.
You must have excellent judgment in balancing legal risks with business strategy and a proven ability to act as an effective product counsel. The best candidates will have broad legal knowledge of the international laws and regulations impacting a major e-commerce platform and the ability to leverage subject matter expertise within the Legal Department to provide nuanced and informed legal advice to key element of SIE’s business. You will use your drive and experience to make a big impact on a major segment of SIE’s global business.
- Collaborate with and advise multiple stakeholders across commerce, product, engineering, consumer services, finance and legal departments throughout the product development cycle (from the initial stages of product development, through launch, to market strategy) on all of the regulatory, legal and compliance issues impacting PlayStation Store and related e-commerce platforms.
- Continually audit SIE’s existing e-commerce platforms for compliance with the ever-changing regulatory environment around the globe.
- Understand and stay up-to-date on U.S. and international laws and regulations related to e-commerce platforms.
- Lead the formulation of global legal advice in the area of e-commerce, collaborating closely with legal department members in the Europe and Asia.
- Strong ability to explain complex legal issues in basic terms for the non-legal stakeholders across the company.
- Provide pragmatic day-to-day and strategic advice to minimize legal risks while advancing business goals and initiatives.
- Facilitate with technology generally and business-to-consumer e-commerce technologies and solutions in particular.
- Transactional experience and strong skills in that area.
- Manage internal projects, trainings, processes, and drive cross-functional efforts to successful completion.
- At least 10 years relevant experience, particularly working as product counsel in a technology company with experience working as a global lead across an organization.
- JD or LLM degree from top law school; admitted to a U.S. state bar. California State Bar membership is preferred. At a minimum, the candidate must be qualified for and quickly obtain Registered In-House Counsel status in California and the willingness to maintain that status during employment.
- Experience counseling product development and e-commerce business teams and working closely with designers, engineers, and product management.
- Experience leading the formulation of legal advice across the globe.
- Legal expertise in several of the following areas: auto-renewing subscriptions, e-commerce, intellectual property, privacy, data security, content regulation, consumer protection, financial or other regulatory frameworks.
- Enthusiasm and passion for technology, law, and business. Experience in the video game industry a strong plus.
- Ability to thrive in a team environment.
- Superior organizational skills, attention to detail.
- Eagerness and drive to continue learning.
- Sense of humor.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.