PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Manager, Performance Media
San Mateo, CA
We are rethinking Digital Marketing, building a best-in-class data foundation and launching an in-house digital media buying team. This team will be entrepreneurial at its core: laying the foundation of a new internal marketing function while growing and evolving to meet the needs of PlayStation’s businesses.
SIE seeks a highly qualified candidate for the position of Manager, Performance Media. This individual will lead the building of our global in-house performance activation team. They will be focused on driving revenue and subscriptions across PlayStation’s portfolio of businesses. This role requires a high degree of cross-functional collaboration with internal marketing and media teams. The responsibilities listed are not all inclusive and additional duties may be assigned.
The Manager, Performance Media will be tasked with laying the vision and foundation for the new global in-house programmatic, search and social team. In this role, you will develop a team that turns media strategies into concrete tactical media plans that deliver profitable direct-response media results. You will advance Sony PlayStation’s ability to efficiently and effectively buy in-house media.
Tactically, the Manager, Performance Media will accomplish these goals by:
- Building team processes and workflows for in-house buying of biddable media within both the new Performance Activation team, and the broader Sony media team
- Working with internal planning teams to design and deliver integrated programmatic, search and social media campaigns, aligning test initiative goals into executable actions.
- Acting as the primary point of contact for all in-house buying matters, ensuring education of best practices and providing expert advice and guidance to Sony execs and campaign partners.
You are ambitious, self-starting and disciplined. Your team will closely monitor internally bought campaigns, optimize as needed, and recommend changes to strategy as necessary, contributing to campaign reporting and analysis, and over time will buy the majority of online media that drives direct ROI for Sony PlayStation, with a focus on our digital businesses in mature global markets. Additionally, you show strong leadership potential and ambitious spirit – someone eager to dive into the challenges & rewards that will come with building Sony PlayStation’s in-house media buying function from the ground up.
You will not only be responsible for effective oversight of biddable media campaigns, but also will support integration of these tactics within the broader PlayStation hardware, first party games and entertainment services campaigns. You will translate strategic business targets from media briefs into actionable audiences by using industry knowledge & ad technology tools such as our DMP. Detailed responsibilities include:
- Championing programmatic, search & social platforms, advocating for strategic best-practice, and educating campaign stakeholders on the overall biddable media landscape
- Developing a plan for bringing biddable media in-house focusing on mature markets where opportunity exists to drive return on investment
- Mentoring a team of search, paid social and programmatic media managers
- Demonstrating our data and consumer insights for performance in collaboration with the Marketing Technology team
- Collaborating with media agency of record to ensure productive working relationship continues
- Ensuring broader Media Planning and Strategy teams are aligned on in-house activation strategy
- Leading the development and presentation of weekly and post-campaign performance reporting for the global Media team, including analytic output, actionable insights, and visualization
- Identifying new platforms, partners and integrations, evaluating these (and existing platforms) over time and maintaining a strategic POV and partner/platform roadmap
- Oversee channel forecasting, optimization methodologies and test ideation in partnership with Data Analytics
- Bachelor's degree, MBA and/or equivalent experience preferred
- 9-11 years of experience in media planning and/or media activation, with experience leading successful global media teams preferred
- Experience with developing in-house buying teams preferred
- Proficient in other MS Office products like Word and PowerPoint
- Advanced experience in working with Excel (e.g. PivotTables, Pivot Graph, Data Table, etc.)
- Hands-on executional experience with planning and running large-scale programmatic activity across DSPs, etc.
- Knowledge of most recent global privacy legislation, such as: GDPR, CCPA, COPPA and more
- Adept in technologies such as: DV360, GDN and 3rd party tracking solutions
- Consistent track record leading high campaign volume, large budgets, complex strategies, and driving quantifiable results
Candidate Preferred Qualities:
- Media campaign management expert – understands channel performance trends, media buying tools and processes, and is passionate about driving campaign results
- Process-oriented manager, with the ability to clearly define, implement, and manage scalable sustainable processes for a new and growing team
- Develop and retain a highly effective distributed team; manage team members to successfully deliver on program goals
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities and maintain strong attention to detail
- Articulate complex technology-related issues and educating ranges of audiences
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with cross-function teams!
- Excellent communication and presentation skills both verbal and written
- Self-starter with passion, energy, enthusiasm to drive results and affect meaningful change!
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.