PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Manager, Data Science (Insights & Modeling)
San Mateo, CA
The Global Store and Services team are part of a vibrant organization that manage both the transactional store and subscription businesses for PlayStation. We bring together staff from around the world, with a passion for engaging PlayStation gamers with relevant and entertaining content. This area of Sony Interactive Entertainment has seen significant growth in recent years to become a key revenue contributor and continues to evolve with the industry to create new business opportunities. We are looking for individuals who are motivated by being part of a truly global team, working together at the forefront of digital content distribution. As part of this, we are creating the Insights and Modeling team that supports the commercial operations for GSS based on data-driven insights and storytelling. They will empower the business with robust data analytics to effectively meet and exceed their commercial objectives.
Reporting to the Director of Insights and Modeling, the Manager, Data Science will be responsible for managing advanced analytics and modeling initiatives to support the strategic direction of the Global Store and Services team. This Manager will focus on designing and executing statistical models to deliver insights and recommendations to expand business opportunities.
The ideal candidate is an enthusiastic and flexible team player with a proactive go-getter mindset, passionate about mentoring junior members and growing a team, has a strong analytical mind, and thrives in a fast-paced commercial environment.
- Lead a high-performing team of data scientists; provide hands-on technical guidance and career mentorship for team members; inspire, motivate, and develop the team to achieve outstanding performance
- Design, implement, and manage all complex analyses that may include methods such as predictive modeling, forecasting, and customer segmentation
- Liaise and collaborate with business teams within GSS to identify and evaluate opportunity areas for advanced analytic initiatives
- Develop advanced analytics roadmap that supports the delivery of business objectives
- Apply expertise in data mining, quantitative analysis, and the presentation of data to see beyond the numbers; support stakeholders within GSS by providing actionable recommendations
- Collaborate with other Data Science leaders in the wider organization to drive business
- Establish Data Science best practices for GSS; act as the advanced analytics SME and provide guidance and support to other Data Scientists and analysts within GSS
- 8+ years’ experience in a commercially focused quantitative role, preferably in the digital retail and/or digital entertainment industry, inclusive of 3+ years’ experience leading a team of analysts
- Solid theoretical and practical understanding of Statistics
- Proven track record of using data to drive business decisions
- Strong analytical skills including the ability to structure problems for analysis, analyze the data, and provide actionable recommendations
- Ability to articulate ideas and present complex analysis to non-technical audiences
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively across different functions and influence senior business partners for data-driven decision making
- Effective leadership skills – able to engage, motivate and develop staff at all levels and in different geographies
- Ability to self-manage and balance multiple projects and priorities
- Fluency in SQL and at least one statistical language: R, Python
- Experience with large data sets and distributed computing (e.g. Hive/Hadoop)
- Experience with analytical and visualization tools: MicroStrategy, Tableau, Qlik, Looker, databox
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant technical or mathematical field
- As the role is global, regular international travel will be required as well as a flexible approach to working hours
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.