PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Sr. Software Engineer (Front End)
Waterloo, ON (Canada)
We are looking for a senior engineer to join our established, high performance team in the Waterloo, Ontario office. We apply web technologies to the core user experience on PlayStation®4 and beyond, which millions of customers around the world interact with daily. You will come from an object oriented development background and be interested about front end web technologies. This isn't your typical web development job - the challenges that arise from sharing computing resources on a proprietary operating system will stretch your authoritative knowledge of web technology.
We employ Agile methodology, use modern software development paradigms, and focus on the spirit of continuous improvement in the delivery of high quality applications for our customers. This is an opportunity to be part of one of the world’s most recognized brands, and to collaborate with PlayStation Engineering teams in California, Japan, and Europe.
- Produce excellent, detailed design and development documentation
- Rise to the technical challenges involved in shipping high fidelity applications on custom hardware
- Work with limited supervision under tight time constraints and respond to dynamic requirements
- Chip in to existing and develop new common software components to benefit other SIE client applications
- Tutor and coach junior Engineers within the development team
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent, or relevant professional experience in lieu of a degree
- Proficient with at least one widely adopted single page application (SPA) architecture
- At least 5 years of Software Development experience
- Strong understanding of OS memory management
- Experience being responsible for the development and providing technical engineering vision of medium to large sized applications
- Experience in performance tuning network connected applications
- Experience shipping 2-3 consumer facing, web applications
- Strong technical, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ambitious with an ability to take initiative
- Experience in developing high-performance user interfaces
- You should be passionate about quality and writing clean, readable code that scales and performs well
- Understanding of WebGL
- Experience with Customer-facing UI Development
- Knowledge of the browser rendering process
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.