PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Why work when you can play?
Senior ETL Developer, Business Intelligence Services (BIS)
San Mateo, CA
Do you have a passion for Data Management? Do you love flexing your analytical skills and developing data processing platforms? Then we would love to hear from you.
We are looking for a Senior Developer to join our fast growing team within the Sony PlayStation environment. The Business Intelligence Services (BIS) team has grown rapidly over recent years in response to an increasing need for the business to use data to inform and shape key decisions, and to identify new opportunities. Currently there are approximately 100 staff within the BIS team, split between London and California, made up of high quality BI and data professionals covering BI architecture and platform support, data processing, insight reporting, predictive analytics, scrum masters and product management
Due to team expansion BIS are looking to recruit hardworking, highly driven individuals who have excelled in previous roles and want to explore new challenges in a dynamic and rewarding environment.
BIS delivers reporting, analysis, insights and other assets to multiple teams across the companies and offices that make up the PlayStation business: high quality, valuable to the user, accessible, and continuously improving.
Based in our San Mateo offices, the team provides business intelligence services for various global business units associated with Sony PlayStation.
- Requirement gathering & understanding, effort estimation, technical design, build activities, project planning and monitoring
- Works independently to address project requirements, and articulate issues challenges with enough lead time mitigate delivery risk
- Design and coding of complex data processing modules
- Provide guidance in technical analysis and solving technical issues during project delivery
- Ensure code is fully scalable, maintainable, and performant
- Completion of technical assessments and impact analysis to figure out level of effort of the work requested
- Tackle technical ownership of a work stream, be the domain expert and handling risks and issues
- Performance tuning of code and review of fellow developer’s code to confirm alignment to standard methodologies
- Verifies program logic by handling the preparation of test data, testing and debugging of programs
- Work with Project Managers and Business Analysts to ensure the timely delivery of project work that meet requirements
- We have a global and multi-cultural environment. Team members are in multiple geographies, resulting in time constraints due to time zones differences and a requirement for occasional travel
- Uses past experiences and deep knowledge to define group standard methodologies. Advocates understanding and consensus of such best practices to improve the overall group work quality
- Participate in the agile development process
- Develops new documentation, departmental technical procedures and user guides
- At least 10+ years of application development and implementation experience
- At least 8+ years of experience of developing in Ab Initio, covering multiple components of the product suite
- Technically proficient in Ab Initio features and functionality (Experience in co-operating version 3.x) and experience Version control system (EME)
- Experience in Informatica PowerCenter
- Experience in driving a full Life-Cycle Development of ETL Projects
- Skilled in UNIX, including shell scripting, admin and utilities
- Experience in programming languages – Python.
- Highly skilled in SQL and a variety of database technologies – Teradata and Oracle
- Multi-tasking capability- working in multiple projects
- Experience working on projects that are rich in data complexity and volume
- Good technical analysis & troubleshooting skills
- Experience in designing and architecting medium to complex systems, well versed with design standards & framework
- Knowledge of Dimensional Modelling
Skills Required (essential):
- Demonstrable experience in developing large-scale data processing platforms
- Extensive experience throughout the software development lifecycle
- Interpersonal skills including presentation, negotiating, conflict resolution, etc.
- Extraordinary communication skills, especially when explaining complex technical issues in non-technical terms to a diverse audience
- Ability to multi-task and prioritise within parallel development cycles and daring timelines
- Knowledge and experiences of SDLC methodologies e.g. Agile, Waterfall
- Strong troubleshooting and problem solving ability
- Skilled in business requirements analysis with ability to translate business information into technical specifications
Skills Required (desirable):
- Knowledge of data warehouse appliances, e.g. Netezza, Oracle, Snowflake,Teradata
- Familiarity with AWS or Microsoft Azure Cloud Services
- Familiarity with Information Delivery tools (such as MicroStrategy)
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.