PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Sr. Engineer, Platform Software Security
PlayStation HQ in San Mateo, CA
We will consider professional experience ranging from senior to senior staff level.
PlayStation has a rare and very exciting career opportunity. We seek a software engineer to spearhead low-level software security initiatives across our current and future PlayStation platforms. You will join an elite team focused on software and hardware security, design and code reviews, penetration testing and system hardening efforts. If this is you please apply!
If hired, some of the activities you will be involved with and potentially lead include:
- Responsible for discovering security issues and improving security for products shipped to over 100M people worldwide
- Design and/or review software security architecture
- Design and/or review hardware security architecture
- Conduct source code security review using dynamic and static analysis tools, and manual review
- Pitch and prototype new security mitigations
- Develop proof-of-concept exploits and validate attack flows
- Develop frameworks to enable full-system security evaluations
- Work closely with development teams during design, implementation and review of new security features
- Evaluate security research and incorporate into our design and review flows
- Triage and evaluate console security issues from external security researchers
- Improve automation of security analysis and review
Ideally, you have expertise in several areas mentioned here:
- Secure coding, safe computing practices, and code development
- Trusted system design: you are familiar with secure boot, TPMs, and attestation
- Operating system design and security best practices
- Hypervisor design and security best practices
- Hardware security topics such as glitching, side-channel attacks, and JTAG
- Software security topics such as C/C++ security issues and cryptography best practices
- Vulnerability research/assessment: you have discovered subtle vulnerabilities in production code
- Software exploitation and mitigation bypass techniques: you have exploited vulnerabilities on modern systems with layered mitigations
- Cryptography engineering: you have designed and/or reviewed complex systems protected with cryptography
- Security architecture: you have designed and/or reviewed the security architecture for large, complex systems
- x86 and ARM architectures
- Expertise in several areas mentioned above
- Ability to clearly communicate security concerns and collaborate with teams on resolving these concerns
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or equivalent
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.