Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services. PlayStation has delivered innovation to the market since the launch of the original PlayStation in Japan in 1994. The PlayStation family of products and services include PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Vita, PlayStation®3, PlayStation®Store, PlayStation®Plus, PlayStation™Video, PlayStation™Music, PlayStation™Now, PlayStation™Vue, PlayStation®Original and acclaimed PlayStation software titles from SIE Worldwide Studios. Headquartered in San Mateo, California, SIE is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation and has global functions and regional headquarters in California, London and Tokyo.
Senior Gameplay Traversal Animator
Come join our award-winning God of War development team! We are looking for a Senior Gameplay Traversal Animator to help us push the boundaries of traversal and set the bar for character navigation feel on the PS4. This individual will contribute to our interactive vision by animating and breathing life into the movement of our characters and game world.
As a Senior Gameplay Traversal Animator, you will be working closely with the Gameplay and Animation leadership to create navigation and traversal systems for the player and other game characters.
• Work closely with the Gameplay Design and Gameplay Engineering teams during the pre-visualization process, assisting both with traversal and character navigation 3D pre-vis. Focus on nailing character movement models, feel and responsiveness of each traversal move with the Gameplay Director, Animation Director and Gameplay Animation Lead.
• Assemble and prepare navigation, traversal, and world interactive moves for shooting on the motion capture stage.
• Assist with mocap shoots, informing the stage crew of level metrics, navigation speeds/distances, checking for all assets needed to complete navigation sets.
• Assemble, edit, clean up, and enhance motion capture data shot on stage while staying true to the characters’ personality. Collaborate with the Animation Lead, Design Director, Gameplay Director, Animation Director, and Lead Combat Designer to achieve the perfect balance between animation fidelity and gameplay responsiveness.
• Animate non-mocapped characters, creatures, and props by keyframing their movement model and navigation sets.
• Work closely with Combat Designers and Gameplay Programmers to integrate moves into the game engine, monitoring and troubleshooting any technical issues that might arise.
• Give concise and timely feedback to outsourcing teams when needed.
• Proactively facilitate requests or information needs regarding any aspect of the animation creation process. Work with the Character Tech Art team to improve character rigs, tools and workflow pipeline.
• Actively advance skill set and abilities by keeping aware of industry trends and techniques, evaluating competitive products, and learning new software packages and traditional art methods.
• A strong demo reel that demonstrates expert knowledge of fundamental animation principles and body mechanics. Be able to create a full range of lifelike performances from the subtle to the dramatic and powerful.
• Demonstrate proficient command of weight, timing, and posing through manipulating motion capture data as well as key-framing.
• High level of proficiency in Maya.
• Comfortable learning and working in game engine environments.
• Work well in a creative, team-oriented environment, exhibiting excellent communication, time-management, and organizational skills. Be able to reach across multiple disciplines to gather feedback and address cross-functional issues.
• Strong leadership skills, production-sensibilities, and the drive and talent needed to produce and implement the highest quality work. Penchant for practical innovation and the ability to bring new ideas to the table.
• AAA game experience
• B.A. in fine arts or relevant curriculum, or equivalent skillset
• Minimum of 5 years’ industry or related experience
• Experience building and animating navigation and movement models for a player character in a game.
• Experience working with both body and facial performance capture pipelines recommended.
• Experience in Motion Builder.
• Good understanding of scene staging and layout. Experience with photography or cinematography a plus.
• Some knowledge of crafting interactive storytelling and/or minigames is useful.
• Basic modeling skills and knowledge of rigging and Python a plus.
• 1 or more published titles working with motion capture performance data a plus.
• Passion for video games
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.