PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Director of Accounting
San Mateo, CA
The Director of Accounting will contribute to all aspects of the day-to-day accounting operations, including month-end, and quarterly close responsibilities. The position requires a positive attitude, tremendous initiative, collaborative leadership, and the ability to deliver exceptional service to our internal employees. This position reports into the Vice President of Finance and Accounting. The responsibilities listed are not all inclusive and additional duties may be assigned.
- Team management of 20-25 accountants (5 direct reports), including performance management (appraisals, objectives, development, and recruitment).
- Lead the adoption of standard financial processes and system development; project lead for local, regional, and global accounting initiatives.
- Lead the adoption of standard SAP processes to automate existing activity.
- Provide the business with strong financial governance via establishing, monitoring, and enforcing policies and procedures.
- Manage and oversee execution of the General Ledger, Treasury, Cash and Bank, I/C, Fixed Assets, and Revenue.
- Manage the financial closing (monthly / quarterly / annual) and reporting in line with US GAAP, including corporate financial disclosures.
- Manage complex technical accounting items including MEA, transfer pricing arrangements, and prepayments; ensuring appropriate treatment and recognition at all times.
- Manage all provisions including royalty, marketing, and legal commitments.
- Manage annual insurance renewals for property and facilities related expenses.
- Review and sign-off monthly financial journal entries in SAP.
- Review and sign-off monthly financial reconciliations including GL account analysis and balance sheet.
- Prepare and review key financial statements and close controls including SOX compliance.
- Prepare and review high-level financial analysis and reporting for management.
- Support Store Operations in the development of end-to-end revenue to cash processes.
- Support the completion of internal and external audits.
- Collaborate with Tax in preparation of Federal, State, Sales, and Property taxes.
- At least 10 years of progressive experience in Accounting and Finance
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in accounting or finance related discipline
- CPA or international equivalent, with SOX experience required
- Extensive SAP experience essential
- Excellent skills with Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Experience designing and implementing standard financial process and systems
- Detailed experience in accounting and financial reporting within a corporate group (AR/AP, I/C, Fixed Assets, Payroll, Treasury / Cash & Bank, FOREX, GL close, etc.)
- Strong people management experience, with a positive communication and leadership style
- Excellent customer service, oral and written communication, and diplomacy
- Experience working across a global business within multi-cultural working environment.
- Experience working within a fast-paced environment, with multiple priorities and deadlines
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills
- Digital services or entertainment industry preferred
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.