PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Character Rigging Supervisor
San Diego, CA
PlayStation’s Visual Arts Services Group (VASG) provides world-class content, development and services to Worldwide Studios. Our team is always at the cutting edge of technology and partners with the industry’s best minds and first-party studios.
We are looking for a Rigging Supervisor to join our sunny San Diego, CA development team. This role requires expert Maya rigging/scripting skills as well as strong knowledge of anatomy and realistic deformation to deliver the industry-leading quality PlayStation’s award-winning lineup is known for. This hands-on position will also require leadership and communication skills to ensure output is efficiently executed, timely, and meet the technical/animation requirements.
- Set up and maintain character (humans & animals) rigs and systems
- Work with art team to develop models that meets technical requirements
- Work with animation team to create artist-friendly rigs that satisfy animation/gameplay needs
- Design and set up character dynamics (i.e. cloth, hair)
- Develop new techniques and processes to further advance quality/realism
- Collaborate with TDs in on-going facial and muscle simulation research
- Create tools to streamline workflow/pipelines for multiple projects.
- Work with team directors and production to identify/prioritize tasks
- Provide and maintain technical documentation
- Work with and mentor character riggers to provide clear direction and set expectations for aesthetic and technical requirements; instill best practices
Required Experience & Skills
- Expert knowledge of Maya, with minimum of 5 years of production experience in game or film/vfx fields.
- At least 1 year as a Lead or Supervisor on AAA
- In-depth knowledge of character/prop rigging technique and principles
- Strong understanding of figure and facial anatomy
- Python scripting
- Experience with adopting production pipelines and make improvements that respect guidelines and system requirements
- Strong troubleshooting skills and the ability to find pragmatic solutions
- Proven ability to be self-sufficient and take initiative to seek answers and address issues
- Effective communication skills
C++ experience (Maya API)
Familiarity in runtime performance efficiency and optimization
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.