PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Senior Firmware Engineer
PlayStation HQ in San Mateo, CA
We will consider professional experience ranging from senior to staff level.
Sony Interactive Entertainment R&D seeks a creative individual to investigate technology and design hardware systems for PlayStation peripheral devices, including proof of concepts, prototypes and products. Here you will research hardware-based technologies as well as design, develop and facilitate the manufacturing of electronic consumer products. If hired you would lead projects to ensure the quality of deliverables while collaborating with software development, QA, and Product Management. If this is you please apply!
- Take technical ownership on the FW development by driving FW changes and decisions based on requirements and product changes.
- Act as a mentor to Jr Engineers so that code and deliverables are meeting the quality expected.
- Drive code reviews and give feedback to other team members
- Contribute with new and exciting ideas that could become products for our PlayStation family.
- Identify the key technologies, prototype, design, test/validate platforms for peripheral projects
- Work with engineering team and develop firmware to meet product requirements, firmware requirements, and validation/QA requirements.
- Work closely with product and project management team to provide technical status, reports, risks, mitigations, and lead firmware developments throughout the development process.
- Communicate with internal and external development partners and identify methods to improve products and processes
- Collaborate with hardware and/or software research project teams and investigate new features to existing products
- 6 years recent hands-on experience designing firmware, including embedded system designs and associated validation software.
- Have been part of at least one successful commercial product launch
- The candidate should have acted as a technical lead in past projects guiding more Jr engineers.
- Familiar with C/C++ for embedded systems product development.
- Working experience with contract manufacturer (CM) and/or original design manufacturer (ODM)
- Experience with multiple areas of the following: embedded firmware design, CPU, MCU, audio CODEC and/or DSP, power management, BT, USB, PWM, UART, SPI, I2C, I2S, and DFU.
- Strong test skills for validating, debugging firmware, and integrating with hardware and system software.
- Knowledge of software production including software QA and familiarity with manufacturing and oversea production.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or computer engineering or a closely-related field
- Mechanical development process: experience 3D CAD tool and 3D printing
- Electrical development processes; experience designing PCB
- Masters of Science degree
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.