PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Senior Transactional Counsel – Technology & Advertising, Legal & Business Affairs
We will consider mid to senior level talent, with title and compensation commensurate with experience.
San Mateo, CA
The (Senior) Transactional Counsel for Sony Interactive Entertainment’s North American business operations focusing on technology and advertising transactions.
As the lead transactional attorney who supports the Marketing team, draft and negotiate key contracts such as advertising agency agreements, ad-technology contracts (for both advertiser and publisher), media buys, sponsorship, brand opportunities, AdTech / MarTech agreements, SaaS agreements, inbound and outbound technology licenses, development agreements, and NDAs. Coordinate with global stakeholders across Legal, Finance, Information Security, Privacy, and other functions to represent SIE and negotiate contracts.
This position as supports SIE’s Research & Development department. This position provides subject-matter expertise to and manages SIE’s open-source software contribution policies and processes and also reviews and advises on requests to both use open source and to contribute to the open source community. This attorney will draft and negotiate contracts for SIE’s R&D department, such as complex NDAs, university agreements, OEM agreements and other strategic one-off agreements.
This attorney supervises one transactional paralegal that supports this area and will work closely with SIE’s Director, Legal & Business Affairs – Marketing & Advertising as part of the Marketing & Advertising Legal Team who are responsible for advising on Marketing & Advertising issues in North America. This team also includes attorneys and paralegals who review marketing materials, product and service descriptions and terms and conditions across all media, platforms and printed collateral. Experience providing marketing and advertising law advice and overseeing staff providing this advice is a strong plus.
- Licensed attorney with a law degree from an accredited U.S. law school. California Bar membership (not just registered in-house counsel) preferred
- At least 10 years of legal practice, with substantial experience in drafting and negotiating complex transactional matters, including SaaS agreements, technology license agreements, and agreements involving customer data, for sales and marketing and research & development organizations.
- Experience and knowledge with global data privacy regulations. Strong analytical ability and excellent judgement required.
- Experience or knowledge about legal issues surrounding artificial intelligence, machine learning and augmented reality and in-house experience providing advice to a video game company, e-commerce or company delivering digital content and services directly to consumers.
- Must have strong interpersonal, writing and office skills as well as the ability to identify and overcome obstacles and find quick solutions to legal and logistical issues.
- Prioritize and manage deadlines in a fast-based, high-volume, and demanding work environment and is confident but diplomatic and flexible as priorities change every day.
- Build relationships and consensus with, and influence, cross-functional and cross-level groups and is self-motivated with the ability to work independently to provide solutions to clients.
- Strong candidates will have demonstrated leadership abilities and strong management skills as well as the proven ability to manage client expectations and multiple projects in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively across business functions and territories.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.