Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services. PlayStation has delivered innovation to the market since the launch of the original PlayStation in Japan in 1994. The PlayStation family of products and services include PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Vita, PlayStation®3, PlayStation®Store, PlayStation®Plus, PlayStation™Video, PlayStation™Music, PlayStation™Now, PlayStation™Vue, PlayStation®Original and acclaimed PlayStation software titles from SIE Worldwide Studios. Headquartered in San Mateo, California, SIE is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation and has global functions and regional headquarters in California, London and Tokyo.
Come join the award-winning development team at Santa Monica Studio! We are looking for a Narrative Animator to help us push the boundaries of interactive storytelling and set the bar for narrative creativity on the PS4. This individual will contribute to our cinematic vision by animating and breathing life into the performances of our characters and game world.
As a Narrative Animator, you will be working closely with the Narrative and Animation leadership to create story moments that are visually stunning, while also working with a wide range of development team members to ensure technical feasibility.
- Work closely with the Narrative Team during the cinematic pre-visualization process, assisting both with live-action and 3D pre-vis. Focus on nailing character development, choreography, and timing of each scene with the Director of Photography.
- Assemble and prepare cinematic scenes for shooting on the motion capture stage.
- Assist with mocap shoots, informing the stage crew of set building and prop needs, checking for continuity and keeping track of editing needs for scenes.
- Assemble, edit, clean up, and enhance motion capture data shot on stage, including both body and face. Collaborate with the Director of Photography to maintain proper staging and visual language.
- Animate non-mocapped characters, creatures, and props by hand. This includes hand-keyed facial expressions and lip sync as necessary.
- Work closely with Narrative Tech Designers to integrate scenes into the game engine, monitoring and troubleshooting any technical issues that might arise.
- Proactively facilitate requests or information needs regarding any aspect of the animation creation process. Work with the Character Tech Art team to improve character rigs, tools and workflow pipeline.
- Actively advance skill set and abilities by keeping aware of industry trends and techniques, evaluating competitive products, and learning new software packages and traditional art methods.
- A strong demo reel that demonstrates expert knowledge of fundamental animation principles and acting skills. Be able to create a full range of lifelike performances from the subtle to the dramatic and powerful.
- Demonstrate proficient command of weight, timing, and posing through manipulating motion capture data as well as key-framing.
- High level of proficiency in Maya and MotionBuilder.
- Good understanding of scene staging and layout.
- Comfortable learning and working in game engine environments.
- Work well in a creative, team-oriented environment, exhibiting excellent communication, time-management, and organizational skills. Be able to reach across multiple disciplines to gather feedback and address cross-functional issues.
- Possess the drive and talent needed to produce and implement the highest quality work. Penchant for practical innovation and the ability to bring new ideas to the table.
- A. in fine arts or relevant curriculum, or equivalent skillset
- Minimum 3 years’ industry or related experience
- Experience working with both body and facial performance capture pipelines recommended.
- Some knowledge of crafting interactive storytelling and/or minigames is useful.
- Basic modeling skills and knowledge of rigging and Python a plus.
- 1 or more published titles working with motion capture performance data a plus.
- Passion for video games
- Experience with photography or cinematography a plus.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.