PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Staff Technical Writer
San Francisco, CA
- Author of Japanese language end-user documentation for game console products.
- UI (User Interface) developer for game console products.
- Developmental editor for English-to-Japanese translations of end-user documentation.
- Author end user documentation and product UI strings, with Japanese consumers as the target audience.
- Work with a bilingual team (with variable Japanese language skills) to author Japanese content simultaneously with English content.
- Define and implement the methodologies necessary for simultaneous authoring of Japanese and English content.
- Actively participate in content strategy planning.
- Audit product design and UX meetings as needed.
- Elicit information from product design engineers and other stakeholders with limited (or no) Japanese language skills.
- Edit existing Japanese content (based on source English).
- Coordinate with global teams to ensure consistency, readability, and proper tone of voice.
- Manage content review by stakeholders.
- Circulate document files with specific instructions for scope of review.
- Aggregate feedback from global stakeholders. Negotiate revisions as needed.
- Communicate with partners and stakeholders in English when required.
- Fluent in Japanese and English, both written and verbal.
- Translation skills with acute attention to detail.
- Prior experience creating documentation for consumer electronics and/or the video game industry.
- Solid understanding of document design principles (layout, textual information, visual elements).
- Ability to advocate for our end users through tact and diplomacy. Must be culturally sensitive.
- Equivalent cross-cultural exposure in a business environment.
- Relationship management skills – able to elicit meaningful feedback from subject matter experts and tactfully communicate in multicultural environments.
- Project management skills – ability to manage stakeholder reviews, negotiate and maintain schedules, report project status, prioritize work.
- DITA / structured authoring experience highly desirable.
- Must be available for occasional travel to Japan.
- Must be able to accommodate variable working hours.
- Five+ years tech writing experience, BA/BS degree (Communications / English / Journalism)
- Technical degree (UX / Computer Science / Electronics) or equivalent background in addition to the above
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.