PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Audio Designer (Fixed Term Contract)
Onsite @ Insomniac Games
Fixed Term Employment is a new, at-will employment classification at Sony Interactive Entertainment (“SIE”). A Fixed Term Employee (“FXT employee”) is an SIE employee possessing a highly valued and/or specialized skillset unique to Sony PlayStation, who is hired under a fixed term contract for a minimum term of one year and maximum term of three years to perform work on one or more specific project(s).
Creates, edits, and implements game-ready audio of the highest quality for projects. Works closely with the rest of the audio team and maintains a high level of quality and consistency of assets.
- Conceptualizes and creates unique sound effects at an intermediate level of proficiency that match the style and tone for their intended use.
- Proactively works with the development team to identify and develop strategies for implementing sound effects that yield highest quality results in the game.
- Utilizes technical skills to make sure sound effects meet technical requirements of game including voice channel limits, memory management, prioritization, etc.
- Investigates sound effect issues at an intermediate level to debug, fix and make sure sounds play correctly in the game.
- Adept at pre-mixing all sound effects when being implemented into the game and is a contributor to assisting with final sound design mix of game.
- Communicates progress toward goals on a regular basis with audio director, audio lead and project manager.
- Communicates ideas and technical details clearly with other teams/departments working in disciplines other than audio.
- Ability to perform intermediate level scripting using visual scripting platforms.
- Provides assistance with audio schedule creation and forecasting.
- Contributes to defining the tone of audio for style guide documentation for projects.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Education and/or Experience: Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or university; or two to four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience focused on experience in original sound effect design, creation, mixing, processing and implementation or computer game product development experience.
- Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Reasoning Skills: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Computer Skills: Proficient with multitrack project mixing software/hardware and session set-up (Avid Pro Tools experience preferred). Experience with mixing stereo and surround sound formats. Proficient with PC-based sample editors (Sound Forge). Experience with Wwise and Audio Plug Ins is a must. Knowledgeable with both PC and Mac-based operating systems. Good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Other Skills: Strong written and verbal communication skills required. Must be able to present ideas clearly and work well within a large team environment. Emphasis in sound effect and dialogue mixing and post production work. Emphasis on microphone placement, operation and recording. Thorough understanding of audio compression technologies and surround sound formats. Basic understanding of audio physics principles. Film or television production/location recording experience preferred. Understanding of music/ playing an instrument is a plus. Thoroughly understands the foundations of dynamic, frequency, and time based effects as well as audio synthesis.
- Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is frequently required to sit, talk and hear regularly. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Employee will be exposed to varying levels of sound based on work or project.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.