Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services. PlayStation has delivered innovation to the market since the launch of the original PlayStation in Japan in 1994. The PlayStation family of products and services include PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Vita, PlayStation®3, PlayStation®Store, PlayStation®Plus, PlayStation™Video, PlayStation™Music, PlayStation™Now, PlayStation™Vue, PlayStation®Original and acclaimed PlayStation software titles from SIE Worldwide Studios. Headquartered in San Mateo, California, SIE is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation and has global functions and regional headquarters in California, London and Tokyo.
Come join the award-winning team that created God of War! Sony Santa Monica Studio is looking for a Systems Designer to design and implement gameplay systems. This individual will work side by side with our Level Design, Combat Design, UI, and Engineering teams, designing and implementing innovative and ambitious in-game content.
As a Systems Designer, you must possess the ability to effectively collaborate with design, art and engineering to creatively solve challenging technical problems. You have a passion for shaping an engaging player experience, a blend of creative and technical skills and experience, and have worked on AAA console titles. Help us create amazing world leading games that will set the PS4 apart from the rest!
- Design and implement gameplay systems (mechanics, traversal, progression, etc.).
- Design and implement level mechanics, in collaboration with the Technical Design and Level Design teams.
- Provide team-facing documentation to inform and guide the work of downstream groups.
- Participate in planning a roadmap to completion for the systems for which you’re responsible.
- Guide the tuning and pacing of the player experience, and contribute to defining the tools and pipeline required to do so.
- Execute clean and robust implementation of items and abilities with game-wide ramifications and effects.
- Provide thoughtfully and thoroughly considered systematic implementation of reward mechanisms and mechanics.
- Understand, interpret and execute on creative direction, in alignment with project goals.
- Experience using a text-based scripting language.
- Ability to grasp and work with code-based proprietary tools to implement and troubleshoot gameplay systems.
- Knowledge of competitive products and a variety gameplay genres, as well as a personal understanding of video game fun. Expertise in action games or action RPGs preferred.
- Strong written communication skills and the ability to convey abstract concepts.
- Ability to think logically with a high level of attention to detail.
- Completed at least one full AAA development cycle.
- 3+ years in game development, with at least 1 year in a Gameplay or Systems Design specific role.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.