PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Cloud DevOps Engineer - Kubernetes (Contract Position)
San Diego, CA
This is a fast paced, position with Shared Services Engineering DevOps team, supporting the establishment of a linear scale, highly available, fault-tolerant, globally distributed data and services platform. This services platform will support the global, fast growing Sony PSN customer base, world class PlayStation® consoles, hand-held devices, PlayStation® TV, and network entertainment services such as PlayStation® Now, PlayStation® Music and PlayStation® Vue. This key role will lead the technology transformation of the DevOps team to include existing and new services supporting the dramatic customer growth on the platform.
You are passionate about delivering highly scalable software in the cloud. You are passionate about development of automation and tools around deployment, scaling, and operational processes. You understand that the quality of your work determines if someone on your team will need to answer the phone in the middle of the night.
The individual's primary responsibilities will include contributing to the implementation and delivery of the end-to-end automation platform, to support DevOps activities, with a focus on developer self-service capabilities. This role includes team leadership, coaching, mentoring, and day to day engagement in a highly engaged, fast paced team. This position requires extensive technical expertise and deep knowledge of container-based cloud environment expertise, especially in Kubernetes environment. Broad industry knowledge, strong customer focus, and excellent communication skills are a must.
Candidate is required to work with both local, and globally distributed teams and product owners to engage early, and provide continuous delivery of high quality software products and capabilities. Must be a results oriented contributor with a proven track record of developing world-class solutions that delight customers and deliver awesome business value.
- Extensive Kubernetes experience REQUIRED
- Extensive Helm Chart Template experience REQUIRED
- Extensive AWS CloudFormation experience REQUIRED
- Contributes to a team of engineers to deliver highly available, self-service, DevOps capabilities.
- Showcases uncompromising ownership of outcomes and deliverables
- Role model for customer focused delivery for both internal and external customers
- Energetically and effectively works across organizational boundaries, collaborating to deliver awesome developer and platform capabilities.
- Experienced engineer that drives Operational Excellence within the team
- Builds and fosters agile engineering capabilities and quality engineering practices.
- Results driven person with great energy
- Forward looking engineer with execution know-how to take SIE to the next level of DevOps practices
- Minimum of 3+ years experience in Kubernetes-centered host provisioning, container deployments for an Enterprise-level application (>1000 pods environment)
- Minimum of 5+ years experience in AWS infrastructure deployment/provisioning for an Enterprise-level application (>1000 hosts) through CloudFormation.
- Thorough understanding of and hands on experience with Infrastructure Engineering technologies (firewalls, load balancers, storage, monitoring, security etc.)
- Ability to identify and articulate key trade-offs when making cloud and infrastructure decisions
- Experience collaborating with corporate Network and Security infrastructure organizations
- Hands on experience with hybrid on-premise/cloud enterprise environments
- Thorough understanding of IaaS, PaaS, Container Orchestration, Infrastructure as Code, Containers vs Machine Images
- 5+ years of Linux systems administration experience, preferably with Red Hat/CentOS 6 and above
- 5+ years experience in AWS/public cloud environment
- 5+ years experience providing infrastructure to support SDLC
- Solid understanding of Internet infrastructure protocols such as TCP/IP, HTTP, DNS, SSH, LDAP, and SMTP, along with the software serving them (such as Apache, nginx, Varnish, Bind, PowerDNS, OpenSSH)
- Demonstrated scripting skills in one or more of Shell, Python, Perl, and Ruby
- Strong understanding of DevOps
- Able to participate in 24/7 on-call rotation for tools you and your team build
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- BS in Computer Science or Equivalent experience
- 5+ years related experience
Experience in any of the following is also desirable:
- Agile Software Development organizations
- Configuration management tools like Ansible, Puppet, Chef, or SaltStack (or at least a strong appreciation of the need for them and willingness to learn)
- Relational database(e.g., MySQL, PostgreSQL), noSQL (e.g., Cassandra, MongoDB), and related caching software (e.g., memcache, Redis)
- Git/GitHub version control tools
- Continuous Integration tools like: Jenkins, Maven, Nexus/Artifactory
- Continuous Delivery tools like: Go CD, Bamboo, ElectricFlow, Chef Delivery, Spinniker
- Involvement in the Open Source community (code writing, patch submission, bug reporting, etc)
- Experience with alert and trend monitoring software, like the following: Net-SNMP, Nagios, Cacti, and Graphite
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.